Tank cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissyAMAT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm hoping to get something that will eat algae, particularly in crevices and caves etc. I don't get a lot, mostly just under the light, but I get a bit on the decorations. More details of my tank:-

50 gallon
Established approx 2 years
Water changes of 30% ish weekly
Mix of live and artificial plants.

I was originally thinking a couple of snails to assist with algae, but I have clown loaches, so they won't last long. Also have angel fish so shrimp not really an option unless I want to give my angels a fresh shrimp dinner! Any suggestions? I did consider some fast breeding snails that should produce enough babies to keep a population up but I'd feel a bit cruel putting something in a tank that I KNOW is going to get killed and eaten.

Also I have ruled out a Chinese algae eater because other than the 2 young loaches, 2 young angel fish and the red shark, it's all small, peaceful fish (10 tetras, 8 guppies) and I heard they get aggressive.

Otos, they fit the bill perfectly. Small but not to small, they eat nothing but algae. So it will be gonna, 3 kept my 20g spotless

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Chinese algae eaters get larger and meaner compared to their cousins the Siamese algae eater which only eat algae and stay small. The Chinese algae eater gets large and once it is larger it will move away from algae and start to eat the slime and scales off of slower moving fish if anything just get an otocinclus or a siamese algae eater.

Also those clown loaches will need a bigger home eventually. Lucky for you they grow very slow.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Also those clown loaches will need a bigger home eventually. Lucky for you they grow very slow.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea, I know (now). Unfortunately I didn't when guy at petshop reccomended them for tank size. Luckily they're only babies at the moment (about 3 inches) so I've hopefully got a while!

Back
Top Bottom