Tank Cover / LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 Taotronic 120w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights hanging over my tank and currently use white egg crating as a cover. The egg crating seems to reflect quite a bit of light back into the room which can be somewhat blinding if you sit in the room with the tank.

Since I cannot have a sump with my current setup, I have most of my filtration as HOB and the standard glass covers really do not fit well. They also do not allow me to custom cut around the equipment like I can with the egg crate. The HOB equipment also rules out a canopy unless the entire back is cut out which kind of defeats the purpose of why I put the crating as a cover in the first place. I've lost too many fish to jumping to not having a cover!!

Does acrylic, which is easier to cut, filter out any of the lighting that corals need?

Or any ideas other ideas of how to cover a tank but allow for the lighting to be efficient?

The tank is 60 gallons -
48”L X 13”W X 24”H. The HOB equipment takes up about 4.5" and 5.5" in the width at it's widest points. See the pic below.

49640-albums2861-picture62156.jpg

I don't believe acrylic would be any different then glass and if you used a acrylic top you could lower the lights a little more and get them closer to the surface in which case more light would go into the tank and less into the room.

No - it's an old SeaClone skimmer that I converted to a small refugium. I also keep a bag of biopellets in their as well.

No - it's an old SeaClone skimmer that I converted to a small refugium. I also keep a bag of biopellets in their as well.

Gotcha. Well in terms of the lid check out the DIY mesh top at BRS... You can buy extra elbows to customize it.

Back
Top Bottom