Tank Crashed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

space_ghost1975

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, so i am new, i think i crashed my tank, did a water change and filter media, resulting in 8.0ppm ammonia, have done 2 25% water changes, added ASI quick start, and 8 ammonia disolving tablets... still have 4.0ppm after all that, is there anything i can do to regulate this? i have been using prime to keep the fish alive, but its getting old fast....
~spacey~

Large water changes 50-75%. It’s math if you have 4ppm you’ll drop to 2, so 4-5 60% changes should get you to safe levels. Never change out your filter media all at once, even if it’s starting to fall apart, get a second run them both for a while before disposing of the old one. I leave my sponges in for years.

Large water changes 50-75%. It’s math if you have 4ppm you’ll drop to 2, so 4-5 60% changes should get you to safe levels. Never change out your filter media all at once, even if it’s starting to fall apart, get a second run them both for a while before disposing of the old one. I leave my sponges in for years.

i did a 90% water change, dosed it with bacteria, hoping this time ammonia will be yellow or closer than to green.... thanks!
~spacey~

so tank Ammonia still hasnt gone down, i added a friends filter media behind mine, even moved 4 fish into our new aquarium, i keep priming so fish wont be hurt, but what can i do to get this tank back on normal levels, after my last water change the tank is super cloudy like the sea would be.... any ideas on next step???
~Spacey~

You seem to be doing the right things. Introducing establish media is the best thing to do to more quickly establish your cycle and water changes to control your water parameters until you are cycled. While you would hope that the established media would have had a more immediate effect, 1 week isnt really long enough to establish a cycle.

Cloudy water like a milky colour? Thats a sign of the cycle establishing and is normal.

A few questions.

- Are you saying that water changes arent bringing down ammonia or that water changes does bring it down but it just quickly goes back up?

- Some more details on the tank. What size, stock levels, filter, filter media, aquascape, particularly substrate. Anything you can think of to add. Perhaps you are simply overstocked and your filter will never be able to keep up.

- Have you tested the water you are using for water changes? Perhaps this is contributing to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom