Tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the tank size and if you don't over use ammonia. My 55G took a bit over a month.

In order to cycle a tank you have to provide an ammonia source. A fish LESS cycle means you are dosing the tank with pure ammonia, letting food or raw shrimp decompose in the tank to build up ammonia. If you let the ammonia go over 5-6ppm it can be over used. It can take up to 8 wks to cycle a tank properly, sometimes less & sometimes more.

In order to cycle a tank you have to provide an ammonia source. A fish LESS cycle means you are dosing the tank with pure ammonia, letting food or raw shrimp decompose in the tank to build up ammonia. If you let the ammonia go over 5-6ppm it can be over used. It can take up to 8 wks to cycle a tank properly, sometimes less & sometimes more.

Oh ok, so what kind of food should I use to let the ammonia build up? And where can I get raw shrimp?

You can use any fish food but it can be very messy & takes a while to build up the ammonia. The shrimp is any frozen shrimp you buy at the store. I suggest if you use either you get pantyhose, cut the foot our & put the food or shrimp into that & tie it off. You'll want to test for ammonia & once it gets to 4-5ppm remove the "bag" of food or shrimp (put in baggie & freeze for future use). When the ammonia drops down to 1 ppm, put food or shrimp back in to bring the ammonia back up. You should see nitrites once ammonia drops, those will last for 3 wks give or take, then you should have a nitrate spike. Once ammonia & nitrites are 0 & nitrates <20 you are fully cycled. Some people don't have the patience for this so do a fish in cycle. Sorry if I've told you anything you already know. :)

You can use any fish food but it can be very messy & takes a while to build up the ammonia. The shrimp is any frozen shrimp you buy at the store. I suggest if you use either you get pantyhose, cut the foot our & put the food or shrimp into that & tie it off. You'll want to test for ammonia & once it gets to 4-5ppm remove the "bag" of food or shrimp (put in baggie & freeze for future use). When the ammonia drops down to 1 ppm, put food or shrimp back in to bring the ammonia back up. You should see nitrites once ammonia drops, those will last for 3 wks give or take, then you should have a nitrate spike. Once ammonia & nitrites are 0 & nitrates <20 you are fully cycled. Some people don't have the patience for this so do a fish in cycle. Sorry if I've told you anything you already know. :)

So I should do a fish in cycle???

And actually I didn't know any of this, thanks!!:)

I will definitely have the patience, this Is something I've wanted since I was 10, so I want to do everything right haha :D

Fish in or fish less is completely up to you. When doing a fish in you have to test daily & do the appropriate water changes to keep the fish healthy. Whichever you choose to do you've got to have patience because each one seems like it takes forever!

Fish in or fish less is completely up to you. When doing a fish in you have to test daily & do the appropriate water changes to keep the fish healthy. Whichever you choose to do you've got to have patience because each one seems like it takes forever!

Yeah I've figured that out! Haha

Back
Top Bottom