Tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmonson

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a new tank a few days ago and I put a crab in there to start the cycle and the nitrites and trates are 0 the ph is 7.8 and the ammonia is .25 would I be able to put fish in there yet or should I wait?

Nope. Using a hermit crab isnt going to cycle your tank, unless you mean an actual piece of crab meat. lol You need to supply an ammonia source and watch the ammonia rise, then the nitrites and then the nitrates. After that is all said and done you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and high nitrates. You then do a water change to get the nitrates down and THEN you can add fish slowly.

It usually takes anywhere from a couple weeks to a month pr two to cycle a tank. Unless you use all live rock in which case your cycle could be alot shorter.

That'd have to be one big crab. lol The waste from a crab isnt going to give you a good ammonia source unfortunately. I use pure ammonia from ace hardware but the preferrred method is to use a store bought shrimp and toss it in. The higher your ammonia goes the better the cycle and the more beneficial bacteria you will have to process fish waste.

What about that bacteria you can add and add fish the same day would that work?

nothing good comes from rushing
a tank needs to cycle 4 to 6 weeks and needs a good ammonia source like a deli shrimp
to get started

Bacteria in a bottle is not really a solution, in my opinion it's a bunch of hooey. lol I mean how long could something live in a bottle that sits on a shelf for who knows how long? Just cycle like everyone else and you will be assured that your tank is good.

What about that bacteria you can add and add fish the same day would that work?
The right time to put the first fish in your tank is when the water parameter readings are good. That being said you need to have a Test Kit so you will know what is the condition of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom