tank cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djj123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
right hi there i got my tank last week and set it all up on a fishless cycle 5 days in i tested for ammonia and nitrite i got a reading of 7 ppm of ammonia and 3.3ppm of nitrite so all was looking good now 2 days after that ive tested again ammonia is still the same and nitrites have risen again so i am thinking that i put too much ammonia in to start with i was just wonderin if i done a water change to reduce the ammonia to about 4 -5 ppm it would affect the cycle at all

If things are progressing well, as it appears they are, I'd leave it be. There is some point where too much ammonia becomes lethal to even the bacteria that consumes it, but it doesn't appear you're there yet. If the ammonia continues to climb, I would do what you suggested and water change to get the level down to the 4-5ppm range.

I agree with Neilan, do a 30-40% water change (however many percent 4 is of 7) to get the ammonia to about 4ppm... btw, sorry i didnt reply to your pm, just saw it but that should answer your question

Back
Top Bottom