Tank for mother, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arborist131

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry I wasn't too sure which forum to post on but I'm getting interested in setting up a small hexagon tank for my mother. All my tanks are hidden in my basement room where no one gets too see how much work/maintenance I put into it.

Pretty much I just want a really colorful planted tank. I have enough cichlids of my own and don't want anything that gets nearly that size. I was just thinking of a few different plants and some bettas or something.

Anyone have anything they've setup thats similar or any suggestions on a colorful peaceful tank?

I can't do angel fish for an unexplainable reason lol. Don't they get really big too? Im looking for something kinda simple but colorful that could live with some nice live plants. I've got a large cichlid tank and I was thinking of taking two of my yellow fin acei's and starting a school of them. Their colorful and interesting.

Anyone have any ideas on what minimum tank size I'd need for a group of 5-7 acei's? And if they live well with live plants? Do they school as well? Hard to tell with my two yellow fins among all the other fish.

Acei's need a six foot tank in my opinion, and the majority of africans require a four foot tank. The problem with hex tanks is it lacks swimming space which really cuts down on the stocking options. I'm really not into tropicals but there really isn't any cichlids that could be housing in that tank. What size is the actual tank? You'll end with up smaller tropicals in my opinion.

Never realized acei's needed 6 feet guess I'll leave them in my 6 foot tank lol. Guess I should just go with something like tetras or guppies or something?

Haven't got the tank yet, looking into what I can do/want todo before I even start.

My current one is a 130g six feet long, but it's in my basement in my room. I haven't got a tank yet for my upstairs for everyone to see and appreciate (I'm pretty much the only one who sees my cichlid tank). I'm just looking for peoples ideas on cool set ups.

I don't have a tank yet. Don't want anything larger then 40 gallons though. Kinda want a corner fitting tank, or a bow front or something different.

The fish don't have to be cichlids, just something that will coexist with plants and make a nice colorful tank. Just looking for a smaller showcase tank pretty much.

If you went with a corner bowfront, that would be a much better option than a hex IMO. There are tons of dwarf cichlids you could stock in something like that. Rams, apistos, kribs just to name a few. You could do a pair of any of those and some schooling fish like neons, cardinals, something of that nature. Some bottom feeders like panda cories. Sorry, just thinking out loud. Any of that interst you?

Back
Top Bottom