Tank glass maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forestwalker101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was cleaning my tank and the glass under my tank lights is covered in hard waterspots from my airstone bubbles. Would treating the glass with RAIN-X okay? My plants get more light when the glass is clean. Has anyone done anything similar? I my only worry is the water dripping from the glass might make the fish sick. I do use carbon in my filter.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't risk it! It's mainly ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. The ingredients that make it Rain-X aren't listed on the MSDS, but that doesn't mean it's safe for fish.

I would not do that at all. The risk of getting any sort of chemicals in your tank is not worth it.

I have the same problem, I just clean my glass lids off regularly while doing regular maintenance and keep up. I probably clean the glad lids off about once a week, although I don't have plants but would love to try some some day.

If you are talking about your canopies. Remove them, take a lemon or a grapefruit and squeeze some of the juice onto the bad spots, you can use lemon juice from a bottle too. Then soak a paper towel in some white vinegar and drape it over the canopy. Leave it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour. Remove the paper towels and it should come off with a few wipes.

I would not use use anything but natural remedies on any aquarium equipment.
I hope this works for you.

Back
Top Bottom