Tank is Cycled Now What

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MapleNeil

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is cycled now, and nitrates are staying below 10 on their own. I guess the plants are eating the nitrates.

How do I know when I need to do a water change? If ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all acceptable, then can I just top up once a week after I vacuum the substrate? Or should I measure something to know when I need to change water.

You should do a water change according to the bio load. For example, i have some big fish/ or heavily stocked tanks i do a weekly 25%. My bigger lighter stocked i do a monthly 33%. Start with just a few fish at a time to not overload the bio. Don't add too many at once, giving it time to grow bb to consume ammonia. Your right, your plants will consume nitrates. I put a tiny mark on the edge of my tanks with a sharpie so I know when I've removed the required amount of water. Don't do less than 25% no matter the frequency, and don't go longer than 4 weeks

Thanks for the help!

It wasn't such a great job, because it was a fish-in cycle that I started before I knew enough to do things properly.

But since the ammonia and nitrites went away, I added more fish, and now even the bio-load from the fish isn't enough for the plants, and nitrates are going down and I have to add fertilizer.

Is there something I can measure to let me know when a water change is needed? Other than just doing a minimum amount on a regular basis?

Not that I'm aware of. Water testing, which your already doing. Keeping parameters and ph steady, along with removing detritus is the main reasons for doing water changes

Back
Top Bottom