Tank is Stuck in a Cycling Rut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilbunny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a 20 gallon tank back in February. We introduced 5 pristella tetras in after a week of setting it up. Of course, 2 died the next day because they got the ammonia level up. We were suggested these fish due to their hardier nature. I went out and got some fluval with bacteria in it and put it in the tank. (I know some people swear by this stuff and others say it's snake oil. I have no idea if it helps at all still) A week or 2 later, I added 1 black kuhli, 2 Cory Cats Jullii, and 1 Panda Cory cat. The panda died a day later. I upgraded my filtration to a tetra whisper 40 from a tetra 20 ex thinking that would. I'm guessing that it might have made it a little worse because I tossed out the old filter and probably some bacteria with it. I have also replaced the 2 pristellas that have died so I have a total of 8 fishes now. I have also put in a sprig of moneywort, java fern, compacta, and a banana plant. I have also had a bacterial bloom for over a month or so which is just starting to look slightly better.

Well, here is the issue...my ammonia test strips have read high since I have introduced the first fish and it seems like I have a stressful level of nitrites also. I probably have around 10ppm of nitrates. I bought a seachem ammonia alert thing for my tank which helps me monitor the levels since I was running out of strips and it tends to stay in alert mode...never changing. It has been like this for weeks. I have never seen any of my water parameters at zero. I'm dosing the tank with prime trying to keep the fish comfortable and they seem to be doing well. I may cut feeding back to one a day. They have 1 small pinch in the morning and at night and a feeder tablet in the evening for the catfish and loach. I don't feel like they are over fed since they finish all their food quickly and are eager to be fed. I haven't had any illness in the tank. The money wort looked a little rotten in some spots, but it usually has healthy looking leaves and new roots. I think it might not like my gravelly substrate that much.(I fertilize weekly)

So far, my biggest regrets are not using the dead shrimp cycle method for my tank. My husband used it for his SW biocube and it has much more stable water parameters than mine. Number 2, being convinced to buy so called cycling fish. I wasn't really into pristellas, but I feel like I'm stuck with them at this point. I wonder if anyone else is familiar with a tank that has a reading high in ammonia and nitrites and low nitrates that doesn't appear to be making any progress within 2 months. Most people suggest water changes and I was doing it weekly until I went a week and a half without because our LFS said changing it was worse. I changed it anyways last week., finally. I only do 10 % pwc and a light vaccuuming of the substrate. Sorry, for the ramble. First time posting.

Yeah your going to be doing lots of water changes count ob doing at least 1 a day sounds like the tank is fully stocked and ot will take another month or more for the cycle to complete if you lose anymore fish during the cycle dont replace them it just adds more to the system. I would cut feedings to every other day to help reduce waste while the tank is still cycling. Do 25% water changes daily if not more often. These are the fun parts of a fish in cycle.

Thanks! I guess I need to change it more often then. I think the fish I have in it will probably make it. They have probably acclimated to some degree to it and as I said I've been using the prime to help. I've been using aq advisor for help on stocking the tank. It doesn't seem to think I'm stocked yet, but it all depends on your filter and species you want according to it. Either way, no more fishies til water parameters sort themselves out. It is taking forever!

You nt to wait till the tank is fully cycled before maxing out the stocking even then you want to add fish over a period of time to allow the BB to catch up

Makes sense. I want to add 5 neon tetras, 2 more Cory cats, and 4 more kuhlis when all is said and done. 98% stocked per aq advisor.That being said, I may not add to the kuhli population. My substrate is not good for kuhlis or plants really. Terrible choice. Don't want to change it out since it already has some bacteria in it. My stocking plan will probably take the rest of the year so as not to overwhelm the tank. Anyways, thanks again!!

Makes sense. I want to add 5 neon tetras, 2 more Cory cats, and 4 more kuhlis when all is said and done. 98% stocked per aq advisor.That being said, I may not add to the kuhli population. My substrate is not good for kuhlis or plants really. Terrible choice. Don't want to change it out since it already has some bacteria in it. My stocking plan will probably take the rest of the year so as not to overwhelm the tank. Anyways, thanks again!!

If you want to change out you substrate, it may be better to do it soon than when the tank is fully stocked. The majority of the beneficial bacteria should be in the filter media anyway.
You should purchase a decent liquid test kit before you get any more fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom