Tank Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Husky31

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 55 gallon cichlid tank and I was wondering if there were any other non-cichlid species fish that you guys have had any any luck with? We are in the process of renovating our dining room which will be home a 125 gallon tank that will be built into a "sports bar" setup, but for the time being is there anything that will co-exist with cichlids?

Seeing as how there are over 3000 species of cichlids.....it depends. You'll need to post a stock list to get a real answer to this

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh dear not a good mix from the start.You have new and old world cichlids together.They hail from different water parameters with very different nutritional needs.Your Kenyi are mbuna and can't tolerate to much protein in their diets all the others require a certain amount of protein.I would suggest doing a little research on these fish and there needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My suggestion would be to pick one of the three and then build around that group. Firemouths are central americans and can be housed with certain other central species of cichlid, and certain dithers. Blue acara are south american and typically can be housed with other like sized semi-aggressive south american species, and certain individuals will do well with dither (schooling) fish and other species of non-cichlid. Kenyi are malawian mbuna, and typically will only do well with other aggressive mbuna species and certain synodontis species (catfish).

Thanks! I know the Kenyi were either going to disposed of our I take them, obviously I took them. As far as the diet goes I have had that in check but it's a pain in the but feeding 3 different types of food. The firemouths and blue acara have been doing well for almost a year now. Should I expect that to chnage?

Back
Top Bottom