Tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a few neon tetras, zebra danios, sunburst platies, and two plecos in my tank.
So what would be some good tank mates for them? They all of course school and stay together most of the time, but sometimes you can see the tetras and platies playing together, the danios mostly play amongst them selves, so anyway, what are some good tank mates?
Thanks for the advice.

Paradise fish are an option. I think they are really beautiful fish. Some marble hatchetfish for the upper part would be neat too. Angelfish won't work with your neons, angels snack on neons. Are you more interested in schools of fish or a few centerpiece fish and some other fish?

Well in this tank i'm just looking for a peaceful community tank. I was thinking about hatchetfish but wasnt sure how they would act with the tetras. Angels are pretty and all but they get a little to big for what i'm looking for in this tank, and i dont want my neons to be eaten lol. I dont really mind either way, i'm pretty much open for suggestions. I just dont want to deal with aggressive fish in this tank. My dads tank is going to have a few centerpiece fish, aggressive or otherwise, but i'd prefer this one to be a calm community tank.
When i first put the tetras in i forgot the baby bluegill was in there. I'd rescued him from the pond near my gf's house. He was against the shore obvoiusly bitten by a bass and dying, so i took it in and got it back to health, then it hid under one of hte plants, when i put the tetras in it swooped out and grabbed one lol, the bluegill is only an inch long itself. I got him moved to a small 10 gal tank with my blue channel catfish and am going to release him again tomorrow, he's finally healthy.
But yeah, just a calm community tank. My girlfriends fantail goldfish is in it right now getting back to health, she let her otherfish nip at it until it nearly died and if i put some larger aggressive fish in there he's a goner for sure.
Sorry for the long post.

If you can fit at least 3 cory cats in your tank, then that would be good. They are bottom-dwellers, so they would do well with your other fish.

:)

i never knew the difference between cory cats and ottos and whatever else.
i went to the store and they had both with they usually didnt. i would have remembered these guys are awsome, i got four cory cats and 2 ottos.
only thing with ottos is i caught him sucking off my blue gorami. he seems to not care.

Ottos usually only suck on fish when they don't have enough to eat. They eat algae and biofilm that grows on the walls/decor of older aquariums. I bet if you give them a slice of blanched zucinni they'll stop sucking on the gorami. (They might not take to the zucinni right away, but they'll get the idea eventually. Remove uneaten portions that start to look nasty.)

I buy sinking algae tablets to supplement the diet of my Otos and my Corys. You can also get bags of mixed tablets containing algae, vegetables, and fish; these are good for Corys, as they are omnivores.

Back
Top Bottom