Tank not predrilled...how to set up sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a 55 gallon FOWLR setup.

It comes complete with live rock, blowers, 3 stage HOB filtration system, and fish (blue tang, mandarin goby, rainbow angel, etc.; chocolate-chip star fish and a spiny starfish that mostly lives under the live rock. Also a sea urchin.

I'd like to get rid of the HOB and use a sump with a Protein Skimmer instead.

The tank is not predrilled though, so does anyone have any advice on how I could set up a sump system for the thank?

thanks!

I was looking into the same thing for my 75g and I have found that if you drill it you will have to drill the back or the end because the bottom is most likely tempered which can not be drilled. You can get the bits to drill the tank on ebay for pretty darn cheap. If you want to go the HOB overflow way I found this one on eBay but I am not sure if 1200gph is too much. I haven't bought anything from that store and I can't guarantee the quality but the price seems to be right and the pictures look good. I plan on buying lights from them when I am no longer in Iraq. This is the eshopps on Amazon and it seems like that would actually be the right one. Although you may want to go a little bigger I think that 1200gph would be rather excessive. Anyway, best of luck and I hope it works out well!!

So something like this?

Eshopps: Overflow boxes

Anyone got a good example diagram of how to set that up?

their the ones, have a look in my profile there's a load of photo's there,
basically you fix the two boxes together using the nylon bolts,the u tube fits into both,the black box sits in your tank and you adjust the height so the cut outs are about 5-10mm below the water surface,the clear box is connected via a pvc pipe down and into your sump or refugium(I would suggest a sump),your sump should house bio balls,skimmer,heater,return pump and seperate section with live sand and a macro algae like chaeto,then the return pump pumps the water back to your tank.
If you have a power failure the water will only drain down to the bottom of the cut outs but the u tube will still be full,once power is restored water flows through the cut outs and flow returns through the u tube and down to your sump.

Hope this helps

here's a couple of basic drawings
img_1113470_0_ba52ef356c5303fb35ba0adcbce9de62.jpg

drill it! glass holes has the bits and parts cheap and it will work better look nicer etc...

drill if you think you can do it, but be carefull make sure you find out what type of glass your tank has.

If it's not pre-drilled and you don't have experience doing the drilling, you basically have two options.

1. Contact your LFS and see if they can recommend a glass shop somewhere that can do it for you. It's usually not that expensive, but if the glass company messes up and breaks the glass, they usually have a policy that if it breaks your out of luck, no reimbursement.

2. Use one of the EShopps over flows. I was in the same situation and chose to go this route instead of risking the tank and I haven't regretted it. I chose the PF-300 for my 55 gal and it works like a charm, plus if any fish get caught in it they are easier to catch, where as a corner overflow is tough if you have big hands.

Back
Top Bottom