tank occupants vs. snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_newbie

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thinking of keeping some snails in my 5g for the puffers im about to get. but i dunno if it would work out. i have a betta, 2 ottos, 3 ghost shrimp, and a couple of aponogeton bulb plants in there. will this work out? i dont what the snails eating my plants and i dont want the betta or shrimps eating my snails ..so am i good to go *crosses fingers* :?

You can get nerite snails, which don't eat plants, and they should work fine in there. I have heard of some bettas eating baby snails, but I don't think this is typical. I know several puffer keepers who raise snails in a small betta tank.

The shrimps should not be an issue.

What? :?

I have never heard of a ghost shrimp eating a living thing. That is amazing. What kind of snails did you get?

pond snails and whatever other snails that came with my plants ...im pretty sure they're ghost shrimps ...are there any shrimps that are sometimes labled as ghost shrimps but arnt?

Not usually. Do the shrimps have claws? There are prawns available that have claws and they will kill small fish.

I am just really curious how they pulled it off! I am wondering if the snails were dead and the shrimp were scavenging - that would be more like what a ghost shrimp would do, since they don't really have anything to kill with.

dont all ghost shrimp have tiny lil claws that they use to pick up lil scraps of food? the snails were still alive ..right when i dropped them in my ghost shrimp attacked the snails.

Lol. Everyone's right ghost shrimp don't kill snails. I have 15 of them in with three trapdoor snails and a pond snail. The shrimp won't touch them unless they are dead just like Tankgirl said.

In a 5 gallon get a couple trapdoor snails. They are big enough that bettas won't eat them and they won't reproduce rapidly since they are livebearers, reprdoducing a max. of two times a year, instead of the small viviparous hermaphrodite snails that lay eggs (the ones that come with the plants and most all other snails).

Back
Top Bottom