Tank questions & showing off :).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First, congrats on your fish and on your tank.

I know you've been reading a lot here, but I see a wood floor and have no idea of how it it supported. With a tank that large, the structural strength of the floor is a concern, too.

Best wishes and enjoy. Hated to say anything, but then again even worse if you filled the tank and the floor caved in!

When I discussed this with my dad, we were both concerned about the weight issue as well. The room where I will have the tank has 6 structural beams running beneath it, & it's carpeted (not sure if that means anything). But we built our house on our own, so we know how it's setup lol. We were guessing it would weigh about a ton. Does that sound right?

The dimensions are, 6 foot long, 2 foot 3 inches deep, and then 2 foot wide.

I have a few pictures of the stand. Man was this thing heavy :/ lol. I'm leaving it on the porch until tomorrow afternoon when I get more help to move it inside.

I'm happy with the purchase :). Thanks for everyone's input. I think my fish will be happy with it as well.

Attachments

• image-1430501851.jpg
    image-1430501851.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 187
  • image-3333033493.jpg
    image-3333033493.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 171
Ohh & also, I have no lighting, no canopy, or no hood of any sort. Can you order those anywhere?

When I discussed this with my dad, we were both concerned about the weight issue as well. The room where I will have the tank has 6 structural beams running beneath it, & it's carpeted (not sure if that means anything). But we built our house on our own, so we know how it's setup lol. We were guessing it would weigh about a ton. Does that sound right?

The dimensions are, 6 foot long, 2 foot 3 inches deep, and then 2 foot wide.

I have a few pictures of the stand. Man was this thing heavy :/ lol. I'm leaving it on the porch until tomorrow afternoon when I get more help to move it inside.

I'm happy with the purchase :). Thanks for everyone's input. I think my fish will be happy with it as well.

Good deal! I've never had a tank above 90 gal. What're the cutouts on top of stand and bottom of tank for?

Good deal! I've never had a tank above 90 gal. What're the cutouts on top of stand and bottom of tank for?

I think the guy said it was "reef capable" or something like that. I forget exactly. I think it was for some kind of support. Not to sure to be honest.

I think the guy said it was "reef capable" or something like that. I forget exactly. I think it was for some kind of support. Not to sure to be honest.

A 175g tank weighs around tank 1750lbs tank maybe 200 stand maybe 100 decor around another 100 if its reef ready tbat means it has holes drilled. Do you see holes?

A 175g tank weighs around tank 1750lbs tank maybe 200 stand maybe 100 decor around another 100 if its reef ready tbat means it has holes drilled. Do you see holes?

Reef ready, that's what he said. Well there are two holes drilled into the back two corners.

Also, will a 700 gallon per hour canister filter work for me?

Reef ready, that's what he said. Well there are two holes drilled into the back two corners.

Also, will a 700 gallon per hour canister filter work for me?

Uhhhh. Whats your stock gonna be? Typically its 10 gph pwr gallon of tank so that equalls alot. I could be wrong but what stock?

Uhhhh. Whats your stock gonna be? Typically its 10 gph pwr gallon of tank so that equalls alot. I could be wrong but what stock?

. So I would need like 3 of those? Lol. I'm going to have one tiger oscar, one albino oscar, two bala sharks, one red tail shark, 2 plecos (I think they are called, & 2 green Seveurms. & no there are no holes in tank. R

. So I would need like 3 of those? Lol. I'm going to have one tiger oscar, one albino oscar, two bala sharks, one red tail shark, 2 plecos (I think they are called, & 2 green Seveurms. & no there are no holes in tank. R

Wow decent stock with a great home now! You may be able to pull one off but if you wanna be safe? Id do 2

Wow decent stock with a great home now! You may be able to pull one off but if you wanna be safe? Id do 2

By "going to have" I mean I already own them, they are just in a 46 gallon bow front right now. :). So is this aquarium decent size enough? If not, I was thinking about adopting off the Severums.

Yeah I'm thinking I should get two as well, already spent this much money on it, might as well make sure I do it right !

By "going to have" I mean I already own them, they are just in a 46 gallon bow front right now. :). So is this aquarium decent size enough? If not, I was thinking about adopting off the Severums.

Yeah I'm thinking I should get two as well, already spent this much money on it, might as well make sure I do it right !

All should be safe now in the 175. I would provide tons of hiding spots and put the least aggressive fish in first and most aggressive in last over a period of a week after your done with the cycle

All should be safe now in the 175. I would provide tons of hiding spots and put the least aggressive fish in first and most aggressive in last over a period of a week after your done with the cycle

Okay, so rookie question here. I've tried to go about reading what exactly cycling means & I can't quit figure it out. Usually before I put fish in my aquarium, I run it for a week & with just the water, air stones, & filters going. Would that do it?

Now that's the way to think! I see so many people cutting corners then having to spend way more to fix things later on. That tank looks great btw! A great deal, too. Heh, not sure if having to drive in Austin would make it worth it for me were I in your shoes though. I made the trip from south Louisiana to Austin a few months back to see a friend and although the visit was awesome the travel was a disaster. Spent a lot of time lost and got in a wreck in Houston on the way, and the other driver left the scene making things worse. Will never travel alone in Texas again, and someone else can do the driving!

Okay, so rookie question here. I've tried to go about reading what exactly cycling means & I can't quit figure it out. Usually before I put fish in my aquarium, I run it for a week & with just the water, air stones, & filters going. Would that do it?

Someone please post the cycling links. I cant find em

Now that's the way to think! I see so many people cutting corners then having to spend way more to fix things later on. That tank looks great btw! A great deal, too. Heh, not sure if having to drive in Austin would make it worth it for me were I in your shoes though. I made the trip from south Louisiana to Austin a few months back to see a friend and although the visit was awesome the travel was a disaster. Spent a lot of time lost and got in a wreck in Houston on the way, and the other driver left the scene making things worse. Will never travel alone in Texas again, and someone else can do the driving!

Thank you! I think it looks great as well. My dad didn't think it was going to be as big as it is lol. Ahh I'm sorry you had such a terrible time in my state :/. I only ran into the cops, & they didn't hassle me or anything so it was definitely worth it. I didn't wake up this morning expecting to do it though.

But a great find on Craigslist can make you do anything lol.

Thank you! I think it looks great as well. My dad didn't think it was going to be as big as it is lol. Ahh I'm sorry you had such a terrible time in my state :/. I only ran into the cops, & they didn't hassle me or anything so it was definitely worth it. I didn't wake up this morning expecting to do it though.

But a great find on Craigslist can make you do anything lol.

What part of tx are you from

Back
Top Bottom