Tank Reorganization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all!

In my infinite wisdom, I didn't plan properly when getting my (first) new tank up and running, and ultimatley placed the tank to close to the wall behind it. The tank is 75 gallons.

NOW I want to add an Aquaclear 100 (DIY HOB Refuge) and protein skimmer on the back, and there isn't any room :( The tank is full and has about 120lbs of Live rock in it with a few items of livestock

Foxface
Orange Spotted Goby
Black Sailfin Blenny
Cleaner Shrimp
CBS (I'm taking this reorg opportunity to get rid of him, I think he stabbed and ultimatley caused the doom of my pearly jawfish and I've witnessed him poking my Sailfin)
2 Emerald crabs
Bunches of astrea turbo snails, red and blue legged hermits, and Nass snails.

Now, in order to move this tank foward off the wall about 3 more inches I figure I need to drain as much water as I can and remove the rock to make it light enough to slide foward.

What would be your reccomended plan of attack? I thought maybe a long cooler, siphon the water into it, then pop the rock into that, hoping I don't crush any snails, crabs in the process. I figure I'll need a heater in here too? I'm looking for downtime to be no more then an hour.

Also I'm not sure what to do with the fish? Put them in with the rock? Buy another smaller cooler to house them? I only have one spare heater that I used to mix new saltwater in, so I was trying to avoid buying new things for this task.

I'm really just looking for help or inputs, as this seemingly small feat has me biting my nails :(

I had to do this with a 55 a long time ago. If you are only moving it three inches I would just take out about 1/2 the water maybe 1/2 the rock and then you and another person just slide it forward 3 or so inches. That`s what I did. Just leave the fish in there. That`s what I had to do once. I also had to move it to another room one time and I got some piano movers and slowly rolled it to the other room. The only problem is if you move it several feet then you`ll need an extra person to keep the tank steady.

I agree with mike. The water is your most unstable element as well as the heavest.

Thanks mel, that really calmed my nerves. I'm just nervous because I've heard that moving things may crack the tank or whatnot. I'm also a little nervous about the heaters, can they still function while only being half submerged for a little?

I would remove the heaters. Just make sure the LR is not high where it can fall. Also be ready for a small ammonia spike from moving this stuff. Have plenty of PWC water available.

Without the heaters, will the fish be ok? I'm assuming they would because it's a short period (Hopefully less then an hour). I'm planning on redoing my scaping also while I'm in there... or maybe that's not a good idea.

Yes I was saying that because it should not take alot of time to do. The more rock you move the more of a chance of having a small mini cycle.

I agree with Mike. Be sure to remove the heater or at least turn them completely off or they will melfunction.

I'm getting more nervous as the weekend gets closer about doing this haha :( Thanks for the support guys!

what kind of flooring is it on? for a three inch move, I might try wax paper, or furniture polish. I have a 1/4 ton car jack with wheels. Or a scissor jack between the wall and the stand, so you can move incrementally you are talking about almost 400 lbs, if you take out water.

OK, think about it some more. Is 3" all you need???

Anything else to reach back there for maintenance? Can you see into the over flow (if applicable)? Can you really enjou the HOB fuge with just 3"? Can you get a broom or vacuum nozzle in the 3". Nows the time to really think about it.

Unfortunatley, that's really all I would be able to spare without completely blocking off one exit of my room, lol. They don't give us the biggest living quarters here, but I devote most of it to my tank :)

To put it in perspective, the 75gallon takes up about 5/8's the length of my room.

Back
Top Bottom