Tank size and stocking need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi

Moving some temperate fish into their own tank, they are being temporarily housed in a 40 gallon coldwater tank with my baby oranda and black moor(young only had four month)

They are moving in to a 3ftx1ftx1ft tank im not sure how many gallons that is.

I have 4danios, 3cloud minnows and 2platys.

The tank will be set up as a tropical tank but with temperatures towards the lower end of the scale just so my platys are a little more comfortable than in a standard coldwater.

I have heard that Danios and minnows like to school in groups of 6 minimum.
Do I have enough room when I move them into their new tank to get these numbers up. I wouldn't be getting anymore platys. Happy with just the Delboy and Rodney.

Anyone know the size of my tank and how many fish I can have.

Well the tank is 22.4 gallons or 84.8 liters. You could add enough to get the danio and minnow school at 7 each, and maybe add a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami or bolivian ram.

What kind of filter do you have? With the above listed stock you should have a filter with around 200 gph or more, to be safest, but it varies based on whether it is canister, hang on back, or others.

Hi

I would have an internal filter EHEIM PICK UP 2012 max 200.

I think I would go with 6 Danios, 6 minnows and my 2 platys.

What do you mean by a centre piece fish? like one to stand out on his own? I have a thing about single fish I always want to get them a friend of there own species, so il would feel sad for the centre piece all on his own so id have to have two lol

Also seeing as you seem to be good at sizing up tanks into gallons. I think my current coldwater tank might not be 40gallons as I was once told. is it?

Its measures 3ft3inches x 1ft and a half wide and tall.

Well you don't need to feel guilty because they basically hate eachother! :lol:

And yes, centerpiece fish are fish that are generally kept alone or in a male/female pair, and standout well (they can be bigger, more colorful, etc.).

Hi

Just an update i have my Minnow and Danio schools up to 5 each now. With my 2 platys as center pieces i feel i will leave it at this and slightly understock. I have variatus platys anyone know does this mean they can stay in a coldwater tank. I am thinking of putting a heater in my 22.4 gallon tank with these guys is it neccessary i heard Minnows like it cool but i also heard Platys like it warmer.

Back
Top Bottom