Tank stable finally??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple days ago my tank went into craze mode..two dead silver dollars and two dead pictus cats...I did water change then Prime..My pleco 6 inches..Jaguar cichlid 2 inches..2 firemouths 2 inches and convict 2 inches are alive...yet the firemouth has a bump on face so I am treating the tank with melafix..Should i leave the two cardon cartidges in the filter? I have the Emperor 400...also my readings after testing just now was 0ppm ammonia...0ppm nitrite...and 5ppm nitrate

any time you're using meds you should try to remove the carbon if you can. carbon will clean the meds out of the water.

How old are the filters? the carbon may be dead anyway

Hmm... I don't know how long carbon lasts, so someone else will have to chime in.

Is this your only filtration? I assume so. I'd be worried about pulling both cartridges at the same time.

Oh, and you should never change the biowheel, btw, no matter how ugly it gets

Yeah well when I get filter..discounted due to already returned one biowheel is kinda bent up so spins slower then other one..I thought it was a month for carbon? I have replacements just thougt since tank not settled yet i'd wait to change them?? Any thoughts?? And are those readings good?

Well, honestly I have a hard time believing your NO3 is at only 5ppm. I get 6ppm out of my tap.

We really should try to get to the root of the problem that caused the deaths, otherwise the meds you've chosen may not be viable for your situation.

How long before the deaths did you PWC? How large was that PWC? Can you think of anything that may be involved in what caused you to lose those fish? Did they all go at the same time? Other than the bump on the 1 fish, any other symptoms?

No other symptoms, but i wa wrong its 15ppm nitrate..but the manguense and convict seem fine..i treated with melafix with supposively treats mutiple symptoms and they seem more active already after two days of treatment...I'm going to take out carbon and treat again tonight...A water change was probably like two days before then the 4 fish died all in same day..

alright... you're still ok at 15

If they're acting better, stay the course with the melafix I guess.

If you do take out the carbon, I'd really only take out one of the filters

Unless you can pull the cartridge apart and put the sponge sections back in. There's a lot of beneficial bacteria on those, and I wouldn't want your ammonia or nitrIte to spike, especially not right now.

You think it's okay to add anymore fish? Or just wait? I want to get another convict so I have a pair of convicts and a pair of firemouths

I would wait at a bare minimum until after you're done with the meds and make sure everything is healthy before introducing anything new to the tank

Gotcha...I am just so into fish and all right now..sucks to not be able to add fish ya know?

I was thinking of doing a 20 gallon starter kit from petsmart and doing tropicals..like tequila sunrise and some gouramis..not sure though...i'd rather save and get a big 125 over summer

Bad news...now I lost a firemouth...he was really colorful...then he got like bloated...no clue..water seems...fine going to do another water change today...any ideas?

The water change will not hurt. Always the first line of defense. Did you run your water test again? Please let us know what type of test you use as well. You said he was bloated, what are you feeding the fish and how often?

Easy on the water changes, changing the water takes the meds out of the water as well. Sorry for your loss. I've lost 2 fish in the past week myself from this Ick, it's no fun. You might wanna try posting your specifics in the unhealthy fish forum, others can help you figure out exactly what you're dealing with.

Just replace the medicine in the water change water. I am not sure if you should be treating yet as we do not know what is going on.

THe one firemouth looked fine and thats the one that died...THe other one has a small bump on face..but he's doing ok it seems...how you load pics onto message board i will get some on here to show

Tell us what exactly is set up in the tank, as well. Substrate, decorations, any live plants, how often do you feed and how much, what's your water temp, etc. Do you have any test readings just before the fish died? Any pH or kH readings?

water temp is around 78...have just basic gravel..and no live plants..also have a 3 inch air stone disc running now...someone told me to get more oxygen into tank..also a emperor 400 on back...i feed pellets twice a day..and usually scoop anything not eaten..any better food? Or do firemouths like stuff that sinks to bottom better?

Back
Top Bottom