Tank upgrade!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grace130994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a new beautiful tank but I'm concerned for the switch over... Which brings me to the forum to ask for tips on transferring fish from tank to tank and anything along the lines which you might think I'd find useful :) any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I would take a five gallon bucket fill it with some tank water then catch the fish and put them in the bucket. Try to save enough tank water to half fill the new tank, or as much as you can as long as there is no disease in the old tank. If the new tank is empty add the tank water from the old tank to the new one. Catch your fish and put them into the new tank once there is enough water to add them, add the rest of the saved tank water. Then add your prime and fill er up. Moving fish always causes stress but this way it keeps your water parameters close to the same for the move. Also it helps seed the tank but you will still need to add some of your old filter media to the new tank if it's a new uncycled tank.

Thank you, very helpful info! How long do you think I'd need to cycle the new tank for while seeding it too?

One question is there any difference in Size from one to the other like a 10 gallon to 29 Gallon?

Reason I ask is most of your Beneficial Bacteria resides in your filter. Are you reusing that?
Are you reusing the gravel? Plants? It should be a quick cycle in which you could do a fish in.

Pton46 said:
Reason I ask is most of your Beneficial Bacteria resides in your filter. Are you reusing that?
Are you reusing the gravel? Plants? It should be a quick cycle in which you could do a fish in.

+1 on the above if using most of the components of the other plus adding the filter media it would be a really quick cycle in which you could keep the fish in the tank you would have to just change the water every few days for a week or two and you would be cycled.

It's just 50 litres bigger so around 13 gal larger... I have new gravel and new filter but I was going to put both filter in one tank to get it going more, sharing bacteria haha, would that work? Only because the new filter is a better one... Also using same ornaments and same live plants which should help out. I'm going to put some of the old gravel into tights and just let that hand in there a bit too?

It's just 50 litres bigger so around 13 gal larger... I have new gravel and new filter but I was going to put both filter in one tank to get it going more, sharing bacteria haha, would that work? Only because the new filter is a better one... Also using same ornaments and same live plants which should help out. I'm going to put some of the old gravel into tights and just let that hand in there a bit too?

Use as much of the old water as you possibly can in the new tan. Then run the old filter along side the new one for a week or 2. You shouldnt have any issues with cycling because you are using all the same media and water from the old tank.

Exactly, use as much water and components as you can running the other filter along side of the new one will be fine and if you can you can even leave the old filter on for the life of the tank. There is no such thing as over filtration.

Thank you for all the advice, while I have had different tanks with different stock I've never transferred one tank to another, we can always learn something new!

Transferring water isn't going to preserve the cycle. The amount of nitrifying bacteria is the water column is minuscule. Transferring water to keep the parameters the same is good in theory but if your using the same source water to fill the tank there shouldn't be a significant change in parameters. If you fill the tank with all new water a quick drip acclimating of the fish should be sufficient. The most important thing to transfer is the filter media, then the gravel. Hanging the gravel in stockings in the tank is a great way to seed it. Expect a slight jump in ammonia and nitrite but even that might not happen. Keep the old gravel and old filter in for at least 2 weeks but the longer the better.

Back
Top Bottom