Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many Discus could fit in a 55 gallon tank and could I have some Yoyo Loaches? What, if any, substrate would you recommend and should it be planted?

I say five or six, with nothing except some bottom dwellers, and that's it, no more. But I would like cories instead, they're found in the discus's natural habitat and sterbai prefer warm water like discus...

Thank you. Then I'll have a clear bottom with no substrate and no plants?

I say five or six, with nothing except some bottom dwellers, and that's it, no more.

Agreed!

Thank you. Then I'll have a clear bottom with no substrate and no plants?

sand is recommended for both cories and loaches. So they don't hurt their barbels when they dig for food.

If you want to get yo-yo loaches. I recommend only 4-6 (They grow bigger than corydoras)
That will give them some company and keep the bottom clean.

Plants are optional. But loaches like a place to hide.
So get some driftwood, logs, caves, decorations etc...

Going to get my 55 gallon tank with some sort of stand for Christmas. Do you recommend a tank? They have some at Petsmart but I want to get some recommendations of what 55 gallon tank to get from experienced people.

Going to get my 55 gallon tank with some sort of stand for Christmas. Do you recommend a tank? They have some at Petsmart but I want to get some recommendations of what 55 gallon tank to get from experienced people.

A long and tall one, long for swim room and tall to fit them, they can get the size of dinner plates.

Wow, that is big! Maybe just get 4 Discus if they get that big!

I was reading up on discus recently and came across this, which I thought might help you. Discus emit a hormone in the slime coat that regulates their growth to fit the water volume they are in. So, while they can get huge, if you avoid constant, massive water changes the hormone they put into the water will keep the size down.

Thanks, just doing research now. I will be getting a 55 gallon tank and housing some of them after I do enough research.

Back
Top Bottom