Tankmate for an ornery firemouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've decided to juggle around the inhabitants of my three tanks.

The 58 gal will become a heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood and rocks. It will be home to several schools of barbs, tetras, and corys. There will also be a BN plec to keep down the algae.

The 10 gal is home to a pair of jewel cichlids, which for the moment are tolerating each other's existence. I've found out the hard way(no deaths, but alot of bruised fins) that jewels don't mix well with any other fish. :oops: This tank will contain lots of Java moss and a few rock-covered PVC caves.

Finally, the 15 gal will become home to my firemouth. This fish is a stunningly beautiful specimen, but he has a very ornery personality. In the time I've had him, he has killed another firemouth and a green severum. He once put one of my blue acaras in the hospital tank, and to this day, he still harasses them both. The only fish with which he has met his match is the jewel - he got beaten up by one, which prompted me to put the jewels in their own tank.

The firemouth is now 3.5 inches long When he is not bullying the acaras, he spends his time hiding in his flowerpot. I'm thinking of putting some small fast dither fish in the 15 gal with him. The tank will have rocky caves of various sizes, as well as a few dense clumps of Java moss. I'm thinking a small school of barbs or danios. Any suggestions?

zebra danios would be great as dithers (learnt from reading from a number of websites...no practical experience though :) )

ya tetrin, they are! I don't use them as dithers, but they are very hardy, quick enough to (probably) avoid getting chomped, and school sometimes. Just this morning I saw mine playing follow the leader with my hatchet :lol:

I guess I'll try a few danios, them. They ARE lightning fast, and I'll have lots of Java moss and tiny caves for them to duck into. Thanks for the replies! :D

The firemouth is now 3.5 inches long When he is not bullying the acaras, he spends his time hiding in his flowerpot. I'm thinking of putting some small fast dither fish in the 15 gal with him. The tank will have rocky caves of various sizes, as well as a few dense clumps of Java moss. I'm thinking a small school of barbs or danios. Any suggestions?

Do you really have room for more fish in that tank. How big are the Acaras.

Back
Top Bottom