Tannins!!! aaaagh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, on Friday my mum decided to get some nice driftwood for her tank, and she was told that the wood had been soaked to remove tannins, but it doesn't look like it was!!! So, the tank, after a re-arrange and some new plants, has brown water!!! I was expecting some leeching anyway, but it just means that there's more work for me to do!!! :roll:

Apart from the water, the tank does look beautiful now, and the loaches are all relaxed as they have new hideyholes!!! :D
I would get a picture or two of it, but yet again, dead batteries in the ol' camera!!! :roll:

Might get some more plants as there's some bare patches that I want to fill in.... :D

Fishyfanatic said:
If you don't like the tannins run carbon in the filter, it will remove it.

I tried carbon a few weeks back, but the filter just clogged up, but I guess I did something wrong though... :?

Hang in there. Over time you will get used to them and they will start to slow down.

Nice big water changes make a huge difference in how the tank looks for that day.

I have actually grown to like the look, and if you have fish that like softer water they are probably loving you right now.

SparKy697 said:
Hang in there. Over time you will get used to them and they will start to slow down.

Nice big water changes make a huge difference in how the tank looks for that day.

I have actually grown to like the look, and if you have fish that like softer water they are probably loving you right now.

Well, the fish that are in there are 3x Weather Loaches, 1x Pleco of some sort (maybe Hillstream Loach?) and 2x Orandas (fantails), but I do think they are all looking very relaxed and comfortable in there as it is...

I guess I'll leave it for now (plus I can't do a water change as my mum forgot to get some water treatment stuff when she got the driftwood!!!), it doesn't look as yellowy brown as it did yesterday though... :D

The brownish tinge to the water will go away with time and water changes as stated. Filter floss in the filter in addition to carbon will speed up the process.

ezy33 said:
Some fish require you run peat in the filter, to turn the water brown or they will not breed.

Sooo, if we're (un)lucky we may have some extra fish on the way then? 8O

Zagz said:
The brownish tinge to the water will go away with time and water changes as stated. Filter floss in the filter in addition to carbon will speed up the process.

I'm going to leave it for now, I'm getting used to the colour, and the fish seem to be loving it as it is (I guess to them it's like swimming in red wine, minus the alcohol and red grape juice!!! :lol: ), but there's still no dechlorinator stuff, so still can't change the water yet!!! :roll:

The fish you listed are unlikely to breed, regardless of brownish water or not. I personally am unfamiliar with which fish have to have brown water to breed. Many fish do prefer the softer water which makes it easier for them to breed. The fish you have do not fall into tht category.
What size tank do you have these fish in?

Zagz said:
The fish you listed are unlikely to breed, regardless of brownish water or not. I personally am unfamiliar with which fish have to have brown water to breed. Many fish do prefer the softer water which makes it easier for them to breed. The fish you have do not fall into tht category.
What size tank do you have these fish in?

I'm not expecting them to breed anyway, there's no room for any more little wrigglers!!! :lol:

As for the tank, I'm not sure of the volume but it's 3 feet by 15 inches (tall) by 1 foot (deep)... :)

Well, after modifying the filter so that the inlet hole wasn't blocked by the sponge or anything else that I put in there, I added some Carbon in an adapted dishcloth (cleaned of course!!!) and popped it in, it looks less brown already!!! :D

And my adaption to the filter's pump has made the filter actually work properly with a decent flow of water!!! :D

2cvbloke said:
As for the tank, I'm not sure of the volume but it's 3 feet by 15 inches (tall) by 1 foot (deep)... :)

12" x 15" x 36" = 8100 in. cubed = ~35 US gallons.

Suggestion:
Take out the orandas, first they are cold water fish and don't mix with the tropicals. Second, they are messy and your tank size is good for just them alone. The other solution would be to take out the tropicals. Your choice.

A little information about orandas. They are active fish that like to move a lot, if they look relaxed and comfortable, something is wrong. I'm guessing you have a heater which keeps the water at 78 degrees or so. If that is the case, its too warm for them. If you do not have a heater, then depending on where you live, the water might be too cold for the loaches and plecos.

Two rules to remember:
Goldfish + Tropical Fish = Not good.

20 gallon min. for 1 goldfish, 10 gallons extra for each after that.

Hmm, not sure.

Conversions:
1 US Gallon = 231 Cubic Inches.
1 UK Gallon = 277.5 Cubic Inches

8100/231 = ~35
8100/277.5 = ~29

Alshain said:
12" x 15" x 36" = 8100 in. cubed = ~35 US gallons.

Suggestion:
Take out the orandas, first they are cold water fish and don't mix with the tropicals. Second, they are messy and your tank size is good for just them alone. The other solution would be to take out the tropicals. Your choice.

A little information about orandas. They are active fish that like to move a lot, if they look relaxed and comfortable, something is wrong. I'm guessing you have a heater which keeps the water at 78 degrees or so. If that is the case, its too warm for them. If you do not have a heater, then depending on where you live, the water might be too cold for the loaches and plecos.

Two rules to remember:
Goldfish + Tropical Fish = Not good.

20 gallon min. for 1 goldfish, 10 gallons extra for each after that.

I'm confused, which fish are tropical???

2x Gold Fantails (Orandas)
3x squiggly Weather Loaches
1x Unknown breed Pleco (the type that sticks to the glass or rocks or driftwood)

As far as I know, all of these are coldwater fish according to the place I got them from, who kept the loaches & the Pleco in the same tank with the Orandas in the tank above, and the Loaches when breeding prefer even colder water than the other fish according to loaches.com (where I found info on the Weather loaches whih usually do well in outdoor ponds)...

Also the orandas are pretty active, by comfortable and relaxed I meant that they're not withdrawn and floating upside down!!! :lol:

There is no heater in the tank, the one that came with it leaked and literally exploded 8O and the one I had was too small to heat the water properly and ambient heat is pretty cool (as it usually is here in the land of rain!!!) so the fish aren't warm. The Thermometer in the tank always stays within it's green range (70 to 80f, or 21 to 27c), and at the moment it's near the bottom range of the temperature...

The Plecostumous is tropical, I think. I'm not aware of a pleco that is coldwater, although doing a search I found information on a Hillstream loach or "butterfly loach" that is commonly called a coldwater pleco (even though it is not a pleco). Is that what you have?

http://www.goldfishparadise.com/info/tankmate.php

The weather loaches are coldwater. I was originally thinking they were not. So if that is your Pleco then you are good, other than a little crowding.

Back
Top Bottom