TDS meter use in a fresh water tropical aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have acquired a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter as a gift. I have had great problems finding decent info on its use.
My Ammo is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 5, Kh is 6, Gh is 6 , Ph 6.9 and Temp is 27.5. I am satisfied with these results.
My meter info says TDS should be 70-110 but I had a reading of 400. But then I thought of the additives to my basic WC bucket.
Tap was 75, with prime, bicarb and equilibrium (to give me my preferred Gh and Kh) the result was 320 (my baseline). Therefore I am assuming the additional TDS to be 80 (within the 70-110 preferred limits). After a 25% WC the TDS dropped to 380, so my additional TDS was down to 60 above the 320 baseline that I'm using to WC.
As the week has gone on the daily TDS has risen a little each day until just before my weekly WC when it's back up to about 400 (80 above WC baseline level ). I assume it's time to WC again.
This is just my perception of how to use the meter. Can anyone comment on my logic or give me a wider understanding of a TDS meter use.

Back
Top Bottom