TDS readings help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunningj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a digital TDS meter yesterday and tested my Oscar/convict/pleco tank and got 746 ppm. My tap reads 250 ppm and distilled water from store read 003 ppm. I have no idea what range it should be in. It kind of worried me when I got 750 so any input would be much appreciated.

TDS is a very broad reading.
It tells you how much is in your water ,but not how much of WHAT!
I use only TDS for my tanks.
It is not super helpful to have in tank reading without knowing how stuff in the tank is effecting the water.
From the tap I would say you have nice average water. Possibly a little higher then some lower also.
My tap is 350+ going to 400 sometimes.
My RO is 10 and my RO/DI is 0.
I use the meter to make my water correct for breeding my rams.

A quick guess says your water needs to be changed,but possibly something in the tank is leaching something to increase the level.
You will not come up with a good way to use the tool for predicting the need for water changes IMO. You still need to do nitrate test to determine your weekly water change schedule..750 sounds like you missed a couple or have a tight set up?

Thank you.. I missed a pwc this week but it's only been 6 days since last one. I been doing them biweekly. I don't have anything to test nitrate yet just ammonia and now this tds thing.i only have 4.5 in Oscar. 4 in pleco and two 2.5 in convicts in 75 gal so shouldn't be too bad right? I also added salt a few weeks back to cure up ich. I'll do water change today and watch levels to make sure it's not one of the rock decorations I have putting off something. Thanks again for the input.

Neat thing is you can play around with tank as you dose and get a rough idea of what is pushing it up. Also interesting when acclimating stock. Or comparison between your tank and future stock.

A 75 would imo be very minimum for a single oscar by himself. Preferably a 90g.

When I first got them i didn't know anything about fish really. The Oscar is buddies with the small convict and protects it so it's pretty civil. I would not stock tank like this again tho but I do love them.

When I first got them i didn't know anything about fish really. The Oscar is buddies with the small convict and protects it so it's pretty civil. I would not stock tank like this again tho but I do love them.
Awesome...youll enjoy learning/playing with tds.

Back
Top Bottom