Tear it down to build it up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
So...
Its bad... really bad... Really Green I guess you could say. I did a water change when I went on vacation and my Roomie fed them every other day, and I turned the timer down to go on only about 5.5-6 hours a day (1/2 hour in am and from 6:30-1:30). this is what we have after doing 75% water change. I know that is more than you should but it was pretty bad.
Now here's the kicker. I want to replant the tank... ENTIRELY replant. now that I understand how to do it I want to experement. I DO know I have to add substrate becase mine is not deep enough. I Have added a little whee it needed it but not enough... I need id say an inch more thruout the tank. Now should I clean EVERYTHING including the substrate (in water removed from the tank ***not tap***)?
I really would like to start with a very clean tank.

poor guys are corrently living in smog :(

Attachments

• smog.jpg
    smog.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 83
I also would like to get a uv light for the tank.. only thing is it looks like you need a powerhead or canister filter correct?

Just do a blackout for 3 days. Stop all light from getting in the tank. Then after those 3 days, do a large water change.
tried it twice... even went as long as 5 days no luck
I thought it was to much fertz but I dropped the ferts to nothing for nearly 3 weeks now.

Did you wrap something around the tank?....
a heavy blanket and unplugged the light. It DEFINATLY helped but it had a VERY slight green tint, I did a 50% water change and then went on vacation.. came back 11 days later to the picture above :(

Have you checked water params? Excess nutrients and waste cause green water. Also could be too many fish causing the excess waste. It may take time for the biological filtration to adjust if it's a fairly new tank. Just tossing out some ideas.

would be cleaning it out that way be safe or no? I would think it will help to do that and then add the co2 right away but no ferts right?

did a 50% today... I wanted to make it so it wasn't so murky for them until this weekend when I take the tank apart and scrub it. I need to replant everything anyway now that the javamoss is totaly out of control

Back
Top Bottom