telanthera cardinal is info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im wondering if anyone may have some info on this plant. I can't seem to find any info as far as care, not much on Google. I planted it a few weeks back and it seems to be doing well just want to know more about it.

It can grow in medium to high light, does well with or without CO2 but does at least like some liquid carbon. It's not an ultra fast grower. It also appreciates some ferts.

You're unable to find much information on that name because it's a misnomer. It's more commonly known under Alternanthera reineckii 'roseafolia'.

Ok good to know. Do either of you or anyone else know if adding iron helps? Perhaps to bring out the red more? We have been adding seachem flourish, excel and iron very sparingly until we perfect the dosing for our specific tank. Also, is it normal to see little roots growing from the tops of the plants? The roots start under each level of pedals and protrude down but haven't reached the substrate just yet. I assume its normal. I have been taking week by week photos to see the growth progress and those roots weren't there a week ago.

Ok good to know. Do either of you or anyone else know if adding iron helps? Perhaps to bring out the red more? We have been adding seachem flourish, excel and iron very sparingly until we perfect the dosing for our specific tank. Also, is it normal to see little roots growing from the tops of the plants? The roots start under each level of pedals and protrude down but haven't reached the substrate just yet. I assume its normal. I have been taking week by week photos to see the growth progress and those roots weren't there a week ago.

They are called aerial roots. Perfectly normal. You can cut the main stem at these points and replant if you wanted but not essential. Sure the iron will help with the colour but i think how good your lighting is really determines itImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397113168.585430.jpg
Thats the pink colour ive got mine too

Its such a gorgeous plant. If the lighting Is what really brings out the red, does anyone have any suggestions on lighting? The tank receives approximately 4 hours of filtered sunlight a day. And I recently switched from an 15 watt full spectrum fluorescent to a 15 watt T8 floramax. The tank is 16 gallons in volume.

Its such a gorgeous plant. If the lighting Is what really brings out the red, does anyone have any suggestions on lighting? The tank receives approximately 4 hours of filtered sunlight a day. And I recently switched from an 15 watt full spectrum fluorescent to a 15 watt T8 floramax. The tank is 16 gallons in volume.

Sunlight is no good at all. Your lighting is very poor. Is it a lighting hood that came with the tank?

My 220g tank receives direct sunlight in 1/3 to almost 1/2 the tank for up to 4 hours daily depending on the time of year. Plants in that area do great and will often color up more in the lower stem than plants that just receive high light from my fixtures. As long as it doesn't cause algae issues or raises water temps it's fine. I've had many tanks over the years that received sunlight. That being said many thing can aid in plants coloring up such as the intensity of light received, running CO2, and running a low nitrate/high phosphate dosing regime. Adding some extra iron can often help.

Sunlight is no good at all. Your lighting is very poor. Is it a lighting hood that came with the tank?

Let me explain. The sunlight the tank receives is very filtered and happens only for a few hours in the morning. The tank is not in the window. Its a room over in the dining room. And yes, the hood came with the tank (my avatar picture). Its a reflecting fluorescent hood. We read many, many reviews on the floramax bulb and it seemed to get excellent reviews. The alternanthera cardinalis has been in the tank about 2 weeks and is already showing growth especially with the aerial roots. So if the lighting is inadequate, what do you suggest? Correction, the bulb we are now using is the zoo med flora sun T8. 5000k with peak emissions in the blue and red parts of the light spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom