temp probe location?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.parker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive got a coral life digital thermometer and i was wondering where the best place to put the probe? ive read as far away from the heater, but i was thinking what about in the filter??? it makes sense... if ive got a aquaclear 500 on a 46gal tank, it should turn over the whole tank in a few minutes... so wouldnt taking the temp from in the filter be the most accurate.... ?

thats where i was thinking.... it wont pick up heat from the motor?

Probably the best location is down the center/rear wall of the tank. Water begins adjusting to room temperature as soon as it leaves the tank. I've found the thermometer is always the same reading as the heater is set for, give or take 1d in that location.

Depends on your setup. I would keep it the furthest point from your heater. This lets you know the absolute extreme point in the tank. In my case I have an in-line heater on the output of a Rena, so I put it right next to the input line on the opposite end of the tank.

If your heater is doing its job, the entire tank should be the same temperature, but if its not the closer you are to the heater, the more everything will look normal even though it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom