Temp question for a nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NightSpirit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an oceanic 14g nano with 48w lighting.
I plan on getting an o.clown fish, clown goby, firefish, a couple snails, a cleaner shrimp, a couple red scarlet crabs, and some beginner corals (shrooms, leathers, zoas).

My only problem so far is the temp. From my understanding snails and inverts like a temp close to or below 80. The problem is that no matter what I do the tank stabilizes around 82.2, give or take a degree. Keeping the temp stable is no problem, I'm just concerned that it is a little high for inverts.

I've tried lowering the heater set point, but all that does is allow the temp to dip below 80 during the night. The temp stabilizes to that temp pretty much after a 1/2 hour after turning on the lights, and doesn't raise any higher than that. The only thing I can really think of is to adjust the powerhead for more evaporation. A chiller isn't really an option as this time as I either have to do a sw tank on a budget, or switch to fw.

u just need to find a way to get rid of some heat. the problem is that they are a closed top tank with the lights really close. this is what is casuing the heat build up. if u can some how retro fit a fan to the hood it will greatly reduce the heat.are u running a extra powerhead at all? this will also casue the heat to build up. your last option is gettong a chiller but thats a pricy adventure.

I agree, use a small fan and blow it across the top. I did this on my 125 and dropped my temp from 84ish to 78-79, I have it set on the same timer as my lights.

roka64 said:
I agree, use a small fan and blow it across the top. I did this on my 125 and dropped my temp from 84ish to 78-79, I have it set on the same timer as my lights.

Ohhh, clever. I'm gunna have to give that a try. :p

82F is fine as long as there is plenty of oxygenation. Begin worrying over 84F.

roka64 said:
Mine stays at 75 *-76* with the fans and the heater , I also point my PH upwards to churn the water :D

Open up the hood and reverset he fans so that they direct air towrd the lights and not away. I did this with my nano and it cooled it nicely.

Back
Top Bottom