Temperature issues for Cichlid tank...how to proceed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunth82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Just joined this forum and hope someone can help. A google search didn't provide me exactly what I was looking for so I figured I'd try the community.

I've lost two Cichlids in the last week. These fish have been in my tank for over 5 years (one even born in the tank). One thing I noticed was the water felt really cold for 80 degrees. I stuck a food thermometer in the water and it's sitting at 68. I've ordered two 500W heaters to go with a 300W heater I already have (100 gallon tank).

My question is...What is the best way to bring the temperature back up so that I don't shock/kill my remaining cichlids? I thought that I would start the temperature on the two new heaters at around 72 degrees and move up a couple degrees every few days...is that too fast/too slow/does it matter?

Thank you!

I used a meat thermometer to check the temperature. The 300W heater is set at 82 and I've noticed recently is always on.

You definitely should get a separate thermometer. You can get little suction cup kinds or sticker strips that work just fine for less than $5. The internal thermometer can only measure the water right by it, and many are just flat out poorly calibrated. Personally, I keep mine opposite the heater just to make sure everything is a good temperature.

I think it would be hard on the fish to be in water that's too cold for several days, so maybe take three days to get the temperature where you want it.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Yeah. I probably need to pick one up then tomorrow before the heaters get here.

Thanks for the advice.

I have one of those sinking ones that sits on the bottom of the tank and it works great. That way you know the temperature on the bottom not the top. You can buy them at your lfs

Back
Top Bottom