Test kit bought and levels are off. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dynaleexo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first fish tank. It's a freshwater 45 gallon fish tank. After a few weeks of killing of fish, I became more educated on the levels in my fish tank that we're doing so, not the temperature fluctuation.

Now that I bought a test kit and tested my levels, where do I go from here?

pH was low at a 7.2
Ammonia was present at a .50
Nitrate was present at 5.0
Nitrite at .50

How do I decrease nitrate, ammonia and nitrite abs increase pH?

In time as your bacterial colonies get established, and the tank is cycled, you will see ammonia and nitrite come down to 0. 5ppm nitrate is fine - anything less than 50 or so in a FW tank is acceptable for most commonly kept community fish.

Why do you want to increase your pH? It is fine at 7.2 for just about any fish.

Dynaleexo said:
This is my first fish tank. It's a freshwater 45 gallon fish tank. After a few weeks of killing of fish, I became more educated on the levels in my fish tank that we're doing so, not the temperature fluctuation.

Now that I bought a test kit and tested my levels, where do I go from here?

pH was low at a 7.2
Ammonia was present at a .50
Nitrate was present at 5.0
Nitrite at .50

How do I decrease nitrate, ammonia and nitrite abs increase pH?

As Fort & librarygirl said don't mess with the Ph, its better it be stable than big fluctuations from trying to adjust it, your fish will adjust to your Ph. Water changes will bring down your ammo, nitrites & nitrates. Once your BB is well established it should take care of the ammonia & nitrites. Have you tested your tap water to see what your starting parameters are?

Back
Top Bottom