Test Kit Problem - Lost a couple fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had some fish die today, so being I just got them from the LFS and they have a three day warranty. I tested my water with my AP freshwater kit and didnt find any out of whack readings. When I went to get my warranty fish the LFS requires a water sample. When they tested the water they said it was way out of whack. They gave me a store credit and said return when I get the water back in line.

I had a second AP test kit that I hadnt opened yet and tested the water with that. When I did my tests I found my NH3 at 8ppm, Nitrites at 2ppm, Nitrates at 5ppm, and PH at 7.2.

I did two 50-60% pwc's over the last 24 hours, and got the current levels are NH3 < 0.25%, Nitrites < 0.25%, Nitrates 0ppm, and PH at 7.0. I retested with the first kit and it appears that the ammonia and nitrite test solutions were bad as I got 0ppm results on the NH3 and Nitrite, the Nitrate test seemed ok as I got the same result as I got with the new solutions.

My question is has anybody had issues with misleading information from test kits ?

Do people keep a second test kit available for redundancy, and check accuracy of the first kit randomly ?

We replace ours about once a year even if the bottles are half full. Who knows how long it actually sat on the shelf before purchasing.

Mine is a year and a half since I opened it up. Still works well. But I suppose at some time that will change, but interestingly they do not come with expiration dates on them.

I think they should come with expiry dates. Would make things easier. I haven't had any bad readings so far with my test kits. They never last more than a year anyway.

Most new test kits do have some kind of expiration date stamped on it, or at least a 'made on' date, so you know that a year from that date, toss it.

I've been pushing an AP pH test kit for over 2 years, and I'm finally getting completely inaccurate readings with it. Time to shell out $20 for a new master kit.

The new kit was a sealed box I got from Big Al's. The other was one I got from the LFS and it dont recall it having a plastic wrap around it. The results I am getting from the new package are in line with what the LFS said my water tested at.

Oh well, I am feeling pretty confident at the moment the new test kit is accurate, just wish I didnt have to find out the hard way. The remainder of my fish seem to still be healthy and hopefully I havent reduced there life span too much.

Back
Top Bottom