Test strip dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellawson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's been almost 2 weeks since I have had a chance to spend any "quality" time on my tanks including testing the water. I have had to rely on information from my husband which consist of "I feed your fish, everything looks good but the waters a little low" that's pretty much all the daily update I've been getting.

I use an API liquid test kit but I know there is no way I'm gonna be able to talk him through that process but he did manage to pick up some test strips and use them. He said every thing was in the "safe" color but the nitrite was a little close to the caution color but still safe. I know the strips are not very accurate (unfortunately neither is my husband) but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Do you find them to show lower or higher levels than the liquid kit?

It's looking like Monday before I get a chance to check for myself and I could use a little peace of mind. The kind of strips he bought were Quick dip 5 made by Jungle.

They vary so widely - that's why we don't recommend using them. If your tank is older and established, I wouldn't worry so much.

if you are nervous, see if you can talk him into taking a water sample to your LFS.

Or, testing nitrite isn't difficult. 5ml water, 5 drops, wait 5 minutes, done

They vary so widely - that's why we don't recommend using them. If your tank is older and established, I wouldn't worry so much.

if you are nervous, see if you can talk him into taking a water sample to your LFS.

Or, testing nitrite isn't difficult. 5ml water, 5 drops, wait 5 minutes, done

I know sounds simple enough but anything more than open lid insert food is more than he is willing to be responsible for his theory is "they're fish, they're in water, they're fine...if they die I'll buy you new ones". He really means well lol. I am not so much worried about my big tank but the 10 gallon is kinda new.

How about getting him to do a pwc just on spec? Clean water will not hurt & only help. <If that is too much, at least have him top the tank up. That would dilute things a bit if the nitrite is off. And the dechlor will bind some of the nasties.>

Back
Top Bottom