Testing tank parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jigsaw82

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a detailed question. We all know that doing a water change will change the water parameters, that’s why we do water changes, to get rid of bad stuff like waste, ammonia, nitrates. So if I want to test water parameters on the same day that I’m doing a water change should I test the water parameters before or after the water change?

If you are seeing ammonia during your day to day tank maintenance that you need to remove by water changes, that would be a concern as you arent cycled and you should be looking into the cause. Are you overstocked perhaps?

I would be doing water tests before a water change. Its more likely you will detect issues before than afterwards. These water tests arent that accurate, and lowering the parameters through a water change before a test might give you a false sense of security.

If you are seeing ammonia during your day to day tank maintenance that you need to remove by water changes, that would be a concern as you arent cycled and you should be looking into the cause. Are you overstocked perhaps?

I would be doing water tests before a water change. Its more likely you will detect issues before than afterwards. These water tests arent that accurate, and lowering the parameters through a water change before a test might give you a false sense of security.

Thank you for your response

I'm more interested in my levels when I'm done with the water change. It will let you know if you need to do another, maybe a larger one next week, feed more, feed less...

IMO,…it probably doesn’t matter wether you Ck your parameters before or after your water changes as long as you do it consistently and don’t change up ,…. Me personally , I’m with hank I Ck mine the day after a water change just to let things blend in

Back
Top Bottom