Tetra preg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
Posted this subject about a month ago and we (myself and a few people from this group) thought she was bloated. But she as gotten 3 times bigger! Can she hold eggs this long if she has em? Is it dangerous? What else can cause her to get this big? And if can she have eggs if there are no ales n there? What will happen to em? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image-2956181441.jpg
    image-2956181441.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3674890656.jpg
    image-3674890656.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2937957383.jpg
    image-2937957383.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 92
I'm not 100% sure she's pregnant . She's been big for ages lol! I would also post this in the sick fish party if I were you , just in case!

Samzter said:
I'm not 100% sure she's pregnant . She's been big for ages lol! I would also post this in the sick fish party if I were you , just in case!

Thanks I think I will. I am very puzzled by this. She seems to be very healthy and acting normal, just plump!

Candi1990 said:
Thanks I think I will. I am very puzzled by this. She seems to be very healthy and acting normal, just plump!

That's huge it looks like a marble!!!! I don't think Tetras get pregnant they just hold eggs then release them and the male fertalizes them.

Not to be a stickler.....

Posted this subject about a month ago and we (myself and a few people from this group) thought she was bloated. But she as gotten 3 times bigger! Can she hold eggs this long if she has em? Is it dangerous? What else can cause her to get this big? And if can she have eggs if there are no ales n there? What will happen to em? Thanks for any help!

Not to be a stickler but only fish that are livebearers (Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, etc.) can be "pregnant." At best, she would be decribed as "Gravid" or holding eggs.
With the technical stuff now out of the way ;), it appears that the fish is doing more than holding eggs. Since there is a fuller appearance around her chest area as well as abdomen, this appears to be beyond eggs. If she (are you sure this is a female?) has been this way for such a long time, this appears not to be a constipation or bloating issue either. Which brings up this possibility, with so many fish now being offered as "Balloon" shaped, it's possible that is fish has the balloon gene and it just took longer for it to show up or develope the balloon appearence.
If you see that this fish is having regular eliminations and eats consistantly and shows no other signs of struggling, it's genetics will most probably be the cause of this shape.
While I doubt this is the cause due to the length of time involved, if you see that the fish is NOT having regular eliminations, you might want to try treatments for bloat along with an internal antibiotic such as Maracyn2 because the fish would then be most likely suffering from kidney failure or renal disease.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted (y)

Thanks for all your help guys! A couple of days after my last post my fish died. I still have no idea what happened. Something was obviously wrong. That morning it was fine... Eagerly waiting to eat as usual, that evening it was dead. It's a mystery but thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom