Tetra question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 serpae tetras who are nipping eachother like crazy. So I'm upgrading to a ten gal tank. If I get a different kind of tetra will they get along? And will they still all school together?

Pckerfreak44 said:
I have 3 serpae tetras who are nipping eachother like crazy. So I'm upgrading to a ten gal tank. If I get a different kind of tetra will they get along? And will they still all school together?

Uhhh what size tank are they in now??? They are not nano fish for nano tanks, so that's something to look into. There are other fish more suitable for small tanks. 3 tetras is also not a school, which they need! More buddies and a bigger tank is good but a 10g may not be big enough, but i'm not sure.

Your Tetras

Good morning P...

I can see a couple of issues with your fish. First, all Tetras are schooling fish, so you need quite a few of them together, so they feel comfortable. Three isn't enough, you need at least twice as many as you have. But, here's the second issue and gaby has already said this, your tank is too small.

If you're going to do justice to even the smallest fish, you need an absolute minimum of a 20 gallon tank. I don't keep small fish in anything smaller than a 30 G, but that's my preference. With Tetras you may get by with a smaller tank. I understand they may spawn in a healthy tank, but the adults usually make short work of the eggs.

B

Great advice from Bradbury!

I suggest you either get a tank larger than 15g, or give away the tetras. What size tank do you have now? If it's 5g we can help you stock it although 5g is not ideal. If it's smaller that 5g it's only suitable for shrimp and that's about it. You won't have much luck putting fish in tanks that small.
Best of luck! Let us know if we can help.

Thanks for all the help. My current tank is 5.5. I'm goin to pick up the ten g in a couple of minutes from my friend. What do you suggest I do with the serpaes? Is there a place that will buy them or take them from me? Also what would be good stocking for a ten gal then?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Thanks for all the help. My current tank is 5.5. I'm goin to pick up the ten g in a couple of minutes from my friend. What do you suggest I do with the serpaes? Is there a place that will buy them or take them from me? Also what would be good stocking for a ten gal then?

Any pet store will take them (except petsmart i think), but dont expect cash for them. Call ahead of time and ask.

If you search the forum for 10g stocking ideas you will lots of info! That question comes up a lot, almost daily. And it all depends on if you want a community tank or single species tank. Anyways, search the forum and google species profiles that you see suggested.
And make sure you cycle your tank before stocking fish! If you do not know what cycling is, look it up on this forum or google it. Cycling is crucial to a healthy tank.

Thanks, I will. And I read all about cycleing last week lol. What do you think the easiest and quickest way for me to cycle it will be? I have my other tank still up and running fully cycled. I was thinking fill up the new one. Then put the new filter in my five gal then my other filter in the new tank, so the new tank gets the bacteria and the newer bigger filter gets some too. Would that work?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Thanks, I will. And I read all about cycleing last week lol. What do you think the easiest and quickest way for me to cycle it will be? I have my other tank still up and running fully cycled. I was thinking fill up the new one. Then put the new filter in my five gal then my other filter in the new tank, so the new tank gets the bacteria and the newer bigger filter gets some too. Would that work?

That would definitely work. Just stock slowly since it'll be a new bio-filter.

Alright thanks. What should I use to fill it? Tap water? I only have two gallons of water that have been sitting for awhile

Pckerfreak44 said:
Alright thanks. What should I use to fill it? Tap water? I only have two gallons of water that have been sitting for awhile

I guess so. What do you use to fill your tanks besides tap water? Of course make sure to take the chlorine out of the water, it not only harms fish but also the biological filter

I usually just let tap water sit for a week or two before I put it in. And how would I take chlorine out? Buy something from store?

Pckerfreak44 said:
I usually just let tap water sit for a week or two before I put it in. And how would I take chlorine out? Buy something from store?

Yesss it's called dechlorinator. Prime is best but they all do their job. Choose one that has a slime coat in it, it gives fish somw extra slime to protect them from abrasions and stuff. They work immediately, you just drop the correct dosage into the tank and then fill it with fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom