Tetra Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know they should be kept in groups but could I mix different kinds of Tetra?

Like would Neons get on with Glowlights or Serpae?

You can keep different groups of tetra's in a tank if the tank is of sufficient size. I have Rummynose, Cardinal, Diamond, and Kerri tetra schools in my 220g planted tank. I do not suggest get 1 or each kind to keep in a tank. Also some tetra's such as serape's can be quite nippy and aggressive so depending on the rest of the stock may not be a good choice. You need to see what kind of tetra's you like and then research them for compatibility.

Yeah that's the thing...
I'm scared to get any fancy fish with the Serpae's we have..

You can mix groups of schooling tetras, but not 1 species of each tetra with the idea they'll school. They'll be stressed/hiding or agressive.

In my tank I did this mix and work great:
6+ cardinalis
6+ neons
10 rhummynose
6+ killie lampeye.

They form great schools... But most of thoses fishs are schoaling fishs, the only ones that school tight is the rummynose tetra IMO.

Yeah that's the thing...
I'm scared to get any fancy fish with the Serpae's we have..

Some times a larger school of serpae's will keep aggression within the school but it's a toss up. I just don't recommend fish with long, flowing fish like angelfish, guppies, and such as they make easy targets if the serpae's turn out to be aggressive. Many of the slimmer or larger tetra's can hold their own with them and some barbs. Diamond tetra's can hold their own and when mature are very beautiful. Pic's don't do them justice. Rainbowfish might hold their own as well.

Might there be any kind of fish that could calm Serpae down?

I'm seriously looking at getting a Gourami..

I have 6 Serpaes with neon and rummy nose tetras. They are nimble and fast enough to out maneuver the Serpaes and I don't see any nipped fins. I think having 6 or 8 Serpaes keeps the aggression within themselves. Indeed long flowing fins and slow moving fish would be a great temptation to them. OS.

Hmm... Could anyone suggest a decent looking center fish up to about 5 inch that might be available in the UK?

I've been recommended Zebra Danios by quite a few people.

My advice if you are keeping similar sized tetras, and they are getting along, is not to unbalance the tank with a large single fish.
Earlier input discussed Serpae tetras. I had real bother with a shoal of silver tips - manic amongst themselves and really disrupted the tank. My mix is black neons, glow lights, red phantoms, blood fins and harlequins Peace and harmony along with the Cory's.

Yeah.. My mum got me these Serpae a few months back, they've been fine until now in a bigger tank

One of them seems to properly have a go all the time.

Due to LFS stocking issues, I've had to add my phantom tetras 2 at a time to my tank. The 1st 2 were black phantom (not as Dependant on high numbers), and they instantly started schooling with my neons. Next 2 were red phantom. One schooled with the others instantly, and 1 his. They now swim in a school of phantoms and a school of neons. Occasionally they will all school together which is really cool. Generally though, they all just mill about by themselves or in small mixed groups.

As far as the serpaes, the phantoms look very similar. Maybe that would help them to coexist better? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable could chime in on that... If you do get phantoms, I think the black ones have a better personality ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I'm off to my LFS soon, I'm not too sure I've seen any Phantoms but might as well check anyways ?

Just got back, I did see some Phantoms but left them for now, got 6 more Neons..

Current stock:

8gal - 9 Neons

35gal - 1 Swordtail, 2 Platies, 2 Cherry Barbs, 2 Serpae

I'll be moving the Neons over once they've grown up a bit

Back
Top Bottom