Tetra Safe Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry about it. You're gonna have to do more work starting over. When you do a water change, pull the filter cartridge out and shake it real good in the OLD tank water you remove. 4 neon tetras in 6.5g of water shouldn't produce that much ammonia alone. Either your filter is super nasty, or maybe heavily over feeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm using the master kit. I don't think I'm over feeding. Nothing falls and they finish everything in like 2 minutes.

Tss site says not to use it within a certain amount of time of water conditioners.

Let it ride buddy I promise. Relax. Stop adding any more chemicals. Do a WC if you see toxic levels of ammonia or nitrite. 2ppm ammonia won't kill your fish. You said your tests are positive for nitrate so the cycle is working.

Jesse

I guess it is whatever the instructions have. It was interesting, it kind of read that the TSS bottle add to tank may have lifted ammonia? Which seemed to match CB's link?

Reading from the link (copied below) this then begs the question of what is different when we use these products in an established tank eg prime. Another night too late for me :)

"In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.
"

I would check your nitrates in tap water (actually I'd check the whole lot to have base line chemistry). It's not unheard of to have nitrates in tap water so you may think you are cycled when your not.

Same for ph. Bacterial activity will lower your ph so it needs keeping an eye on, particularly if it gets down to 6.8 say as bacterial activity starts to slow down at 6.5.

The link below is a guide to ammonia vs ammonium toxicity. It is just an average so keep an eye on your fish. If they look like they are sulking and ammonia is present, a water change may be needed.

My largest concern with all this is sometimes it reads as if the bacteria are more sensitive than the fish. My view is the other way around - look after the fish and the bacteria will sort themselves out. Many guides cheerfully dose up to 5ppm ammonia for a fish less cycle while I have one note that a nitrIte reading above 20ppm may be a problem (which is quite high for us). Many people use prime to condition water and just about all of us need to use some sort of water conditioner. So it may slow the bacteria down but the cycle should still complete. I've had 4ppm ammonia with dosing API amono lock and the cycle still ran through. Took a week of large water changes before ammonia went down and then another week as nitrite spiked. Used API quick start but the cycle was just broken and not a new tank so may have just been lucky on time.

The bacteria will live on any ammonia present (they don't need above 1ppm or any set value) and a healthy tank will have a value of 0. The bacteria are also quite robust and can be starved for months (a lack of O2 may be more of an issue). So if you have any ammonia the bacteria will be using it and you can do as many water changes as you like to keep the fish healthy. (note would be that the bacteria as I understand it from a bottle, take a day or so to attach so a water change during that time may remove some.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

While I didn't test my tap, I did do base levels when i first set up the tank. Never had positive nitrates.

Did a tap test just now, 0 nitrates and 0 ammonia. So the nitrates in my tank are not from my tap for sure.

Let it ride buddy I promise. Relax. Stop adding any more chemicals. Do a WC if you see toxic levels of ammonia or nitrite. 2ppm ammonia won't kill your fish. You said your tests are positive for nitrate so the cycle is working.

Jesse

I'm not using chemicals? I am using prime as a conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines when I do water changes and I have used TSS which is bacteria, not a chemical.

While I didn't test my tap, I did do base levels when i first set up the tank. Never had positive nitrates.

Did a tap test just now, 0 nitrates and 0 ammonia. So the nitrates in my tank are not from my tap for sure.

Sounds good news on your cycle.

Nothing new. Ammonia still rising, nitrates at between 5 and 10ppm, no nitrites. Did a partial water change tonight because ammonia levels are at 4.0. I decreased their feedings significantly and also rinsed the filter media in the dirty water from my last change. Nothing seems to be making a difference. Really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Give us a run down of your complete setup.

Tank size
Filter(s)
Substrate
Stocking
Any live plants
Any thing ever died in the tank or gone missing
Etc

Jesse

6.5 gal tetra whisper 10 filter, 1 live plant, it has mini bananas for roots, 4 neon tetras. 1 Cory cat. 3 ghost shrimp died a few weeks ago, I fished out 2 but couldn't find 1. Since then I have siphoned the substrate every water change. I'm assuming the fish ate the third shrimp.

I'm really lost while following through this, are you guys saying that prime kills TTS bacteria or the beneficial bacteria in general while cycling? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom