tetras and shrimp!...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
so after adding about 25 red cherry shrimp to my planted 55 gal, i've noticed a decline in their appearances.. i know they are all in the plants and everything but for the first week or two i saw them all over, moving around looking healthy. i had like 4-5 big bright red females too. now i dont see any of them much at all... then i come home from work the other day and see one of my orange flame von rio tetras swimming around with a small male shrimp in his mouth... i'm not sure but it looked like it had been dead for a little while (slightly white/orange ish in color). so i'm wondering if these tetras have been killing and eating my red cherry shrimp..?? i don't see them at all anymore. no catastrophes with the tank, i've only had one of my new cardinal tetras die during this time, and my water is testing out fine... i'm not using any conditioners or chemicals other than prime with water changes, and dry ferts mixed with water for dosing (PPS Pro). I thought tetras would be fine with the shrimp..

anyone else have this experience, or care to comment??

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 130
I wouldn't put it past them. Most people only keep very small Tetras and Rasboras with shrimp and even then, they can and will eat the shrimplets.

Hmm.. tagging along..

I have had Shrimps living with 5 Columbian Tetras for over a year without any issues. I also have a Apistogramma living in the same tank without any issues.
Interesting ...

I have smaller tetras, bloodfins and black neon. RCS I use as food, they love them. I do have larger shrimp that are in my tank that they dont bother, I am not sure what kind they are though.

Back
Top Bottom