textured spray paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
are they safe for inside aquariums? krylon fusion is safe, so would krylon fusion textured also be?

I don't think so. No paint really adheres to glass. We use krylon fusion to paint plastic intakes and the like, but I don't recommend doing any painting inside your tank on glass as it'll come right off.

sorry, didn't explain well i guess...I have built some caves and was wondering if it was safe to paint them with the krylon fusion textured pain for use in aquarium

Oh, my mistake.

Yeah, I would think it'd be okay. The important part is after you paint them to let them sit and "air out" for a few days before putting them into the tank.

Probably correct. I don't know for sure however. Someone I know at Krylon said it would be as safe as the regular Krylon... but Krylon won't really tell you what's in it as it's proprietary. And of course they warn against it's use outside it's scope and around "live animals".

I made a Foam background for one of those Bizzarro 10 gallon Tetra/Marineland Half Moon deals and sprayed it with the textured stuff. Looks great. Waited 10 days, set up the tank, and cycled it.
Problem is that I keep losing animals in there. The only thing that has managed to survive is Pond and Ramshorn Snails. I've tested the water 9 ways to Sunday and I can't get a finger on it. I may put a few Red Cherries in there today to see if it's still a death trap. :confused:

Sounds toxic to me. I would just use silicone and put rocks and sand all over.I'm going to start my background with that in mind. Would look better anyway. Make sure to get aquarium safe silicone.

+1 to neilanh about letting krylon painted items dry for a few days. I recommend even longer, at LEAST a week. I have painted numerous things (mostly flat black) that are in my tank now, with no problems. But the very first thing I ever painted with krylon fusion was only allowed to dry over night, and it started to flake off after about a month under water.

Now I know better!

Back
Top Bottom