That darn Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am wondering what really causing it. For now its every where. I just started adding PPS-pro fertilizer to kill it. Can my plants survive or its to far gone?
I made the closes picture i could.
View attachment 56020

Here is my setup.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/32g-planted-full-work-173738.html

You don't mention in your setup what kind of light you have on there, if you have a drop checker, or what your CO2 levels are or at the very least your bps. Also, is it cycled?

Hopefully it will clear up on its own with ferts. If you can bump up your CO2, that will help it along as well. Spot dosing excel might also nuke it down.

You don't mention in your setup what kind of light you have on there, if you have a drop checker, or what your CO2 levels are or at the very least your bps. Also, is it cycled?

Hopefully it will clear up on its own with ferts. If you can bump up your CO2, that will help it along as well. Spot dosing excel might also nuke it down.

My light are 2x 39 w full spectrum t5.

My co2 i can't tell really, is it possible to much? the fish are ok (not gasping for air). I think, i am adding a lot of co2 to a point where its not deluding anymore(mini bubble in substrate). 2 bps

My thank is cycle.

What i notice is my nitrate is at 5 pps, the PPS-pro did not helps adding a higher lever that the plants need (like 10 PPS). Is that a problem?

What i also notice is that algae is getting bigger from the day i added PPS-pro, because off that i am freaking out.

Your algae (looks like hair algae) is feeding off the fertilizer and light just as your plants do. Its probably why you are seeing it grow after adding the fertilizer. Hair algae will not harm anything and many fish like to snack on it. If it concerns you, carefully remove the item it is growing on and clean the item off in some of your tank water. Hope this helps!

Your algae (looks like hair algae) is feeding off the fertilizer and light just as your plants do. Its probably why you are seeing it grow after adding the fertilizer. Hair algae will not harm anything and many fish like to snack on it. If it concerns you, carefully remove the item it is growing on and clean the item off in some of your tank water. Hope this helps!

No its Staghorn algae. There is no reason to be there, Water flow is ok, co2 is ok fertilizer seams ok. light is ok. I did all i can do. can't clean it off, its attach to it like glue and its on every plants.

Im sorry!!! Then im not going to be of much help here! Im sure someone out there has dealt with this before and knows what to do!!! Good luck!!!!

jlk said:
Any chance your tank is in direct sunlight?

Yes that's very possible , not direct but indirect sunlight. It did not affect the glass of algae were the sun in close from the glass. And there no sigh that's it beings effected by it. No excess algae on the glass that could be affected by they outside light. What do you think

jlk said:
Im really not sure but it may be factor in your situation. Im defering to the experts on this!

Ok i added potassium nitrate to a level of 10 pps . I will confirm the result in a 7 days

ok it gotten worse, really worse. I fix 3 days ago they nitrate at 10 ppm 3 days ago with nitrate phosphate and it did not help.

I have no ammonia, no nitrite. i can't remove they algae. I'm thinking of restarting all over. But i do think nothing will change if i do that.

What can it be? Maybe i don't have a good quantity of plants or i am missing something? need as expert on this or someone who had this issue before?

aqua_chem said:
It sounds like it might simply be a matter of too much light. You said you have T5HOs?

It seams possible , there nothing left. I will turn off the lights for 3 days and see what happens. I do like to add excel, even if i have c02 bottles . what do you think.

ok, because no one ever had that problem. i am going to try hydrogen peroxide slowly in my aquarium tomorrow. Got to calculate the right quantity so that the fish and shrimps will be OK. That going to be a rush off fear for my shrimps, i can tell you that. hope it works

You can treat the algae now, but unless you address the root problem, it will keep coming back

You are right, thanks you for your help.

But i think, because they algae is so thick , the plants can't take over. Minimum its will help or resolve the problem.

I just shipped a drop checker from eBay and i will verify the result of my co2 to see if there a problem. Then maybe the light. My light it's not new (4y), but it's never been used before.

All of this take time and my plants are suffering now.

Now, i am adding for 30 ml of hydrogen peroxide in my 32 gallon (120L) tanks. I don't think i can add any more. I do see some effect on algae like 5%, but not nearly what i expected. Something is stopping they reaction. Is it because of they co2 infection, fertilizer , lights on, etc? Can any one help.

Back
Top Bottom