That's why you rinse filters in old tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NP Dave. The Python is used by a large population of FW members on this site with no ill effects as long as the temp of the water being added is the same.

NP Dave. The Python is used by a large population of FW members on this site with no ill effects as long as the temp of the water being added is the same.
AND, you probably already know this but it bears mentioning, you add enough conditioner to treat the entire tank volume not just the amount you actually change.

Using a Python for water changes

It's probably true.
However I have very sensitive fish and I want the temp EXACTLY the
same as the tank water. AND I DON't want to chance any possibility
of Chlorine/Chloromine contamination in the aquarium.
When you treat the water and then add tapwater from a hose, how do you make sure that ALL of the tapwater is treated? Do you inject it at the tip of the Python inlet?

And how would you adjust the temperature of the water?
Using a mixture of hot an cold water is very risky and then if someone flushes the toilet you could cook your fish.

Being very careful is the reason that I’ve only lost one fish in the last 10 to 12 months
and that was a neon tetra.

Charles

To ensure all tap water is treated you treat for the entire tank volume, not just the amount replaced. I use a baby medicine syring and shoot it into the tank into the stream of the Python.

I adjust the temp of the water by using hot and cold. When we flush a toilet, run the shower, or even use the washing machine we don't have any issues with the water changing temps. Besides, I avoid using those things while changing water. When using the Python it only takes about 20 minutes to fill the tanks. That's not too long to wait. A temporary change in temp is not going to cook your fish unless you have the hot on full blast and fill the entire tank.

It's been about 2 years since I've lost a fish. And those fry died from using old food.

To ensure all tap water is treated you treat for the entire tank volume, not just the amount replaced. I use a baby medicine syring and shoot it into the tank into the stream of the Python.

I adjust the temp of the water by using hot and cold. When we flush a toilet, run the shower, or even use the washing machine we don't have any issues with the water changing temps. Besides, I avoid using those things while changing water. When using the Python it only takes about 20 minutes to fill the tanks. That's not too long to wait. A temporary change in temp is not going to cook your fish unless you have the hot on full blast and fill the entire tank.

It's been about 2 years since I've lost a fish. And those fry died from using old food.
What kind of fish do you have?
Here are mine:
AQUARIUMS - Photobucket Groups
Charles

African Cichlids in the 150, African fry in the 29 (plus a candy stripe pleco), and in the 55 I have Angels, German Blue Rams, Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras, True Rummies, Boesemani Rainbows, and a tetra that the name is escaping me at the moment. I really need to update my pictures, it's been several years since I've taken new pics.

Nice shots of your tank!

African Cichlids in the 150, African fry in the 29 (plus a candy stripe pleco), and in the 55 I have Angels, German Blue Rams, Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras, True Rummies, Boesemani Rainbows, and a tetra that the name is escaping me at the moment. I really need to update my pictures, it's been several years since I've taken new pics.

Nice shots of your tank!
Fishy

Why I asked is the dd black angels are very finicky and hard to raise.
I almost lost them once by ODing them w/DIY CO2 which many say is impossible. But they were laying on there sides, swimming in loops, etc.
I do 50% PWC's 3 X a week now (they are a year old on 3/15.
Until Dec last year I did 50-60% every day.
The reason I mention that is I believe your fish are not as sensitive to water conditions as the DD Blacks (or discus for that matter).
I had 6 angels but they got too large, so I gave 2 to a friend.

I used to have some cobalt blues but they were very aggresive and I had to give them up.

Regards
Charles

BTW - i'm having trouble with the plants growing in that 46 gallon tank.
Lat last year and Jan 2009, I was trimming every other week.
Now the plants are living but not growing. Nothing has changed.
Wierd.

I had issues in the past too with CO2 being too high and causing the same problems. I wasn't using DIY CO2 though. When we moved to the new house I had to give up the planted tank because the light fixture to the 150 broke during the move. We had to use the light fixture from the 55 on the 150 and revert back to the stock 55 lighting. I'd like to get back into a planted tank but just haven't had the time. Right now I'm doing 50% weekly on the tanks. The Angels and Africans are spawning like crazy so I'm trying to keep the water as pristine as possible.

Can I jump in and ask how you adjust the temperature of the water to be around the same? Do you go by feel, or do you test it with a thermometer? (I can't wait to get my python!)

Until you get the hang of it, you might want to try using a thermometer (they are pretty cheap).

But otherwise, as long as you are close, when only replacing only about 10% of the water, as long as you are close, it's not going to make a huge difference in the over all temperature of your tank. After all, even if you were off by 10 degrees, that would only change the temperature in the over-all tank by about 1 degree... but by simply going by feel, you should be able to get MUCH closer than 10 degrees.

Thanks! I did a large water change yesterday (using the awful bucket-lugging method) and went by feel as I have no fish to worry about in my tank. I was only off by 2 degrees, so I didn't do too badly. But for my first few times with a python and a stocked tank, I will probably use a thermometer just to ease my mind until I get the hang of it.

And, after reading this thread, I will definately have to set aside some tank water when I do my water changes with the python in order to rinse my filters in!

Back
Top Bottom