The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eco23 said:
Yeah, the bacteria can be sensitive little buggers. A few weeks ago I added a fish, replaced 3 fake plants with real ones and donated some filter media to a friend all over the course of a couple days. I had a fairly nasty mini-cycle for 3 days before the tank stabilized. (The tank has been established for quite some time, so this is not a reflection on the effectiveness of fishless cycling, lol)

A high temp will help, but I'm not sure it'll make a noticeable difference if you just need to bounce back from what is basically a fishless cycling mini-cycle (sounds silly, but technically that's what it is). Since you don't need to rebuild the entire bio-filter, I'd say bumping the ammo up to 2-3ppm is appropriate. I wouldn't imagine it taking more than a few days to be back to where it was.

That much lighting is asking for an algae problem IMO. I'd keep it at an 8 hour photo period. If you have a timer, lots of people also break up the lighting into two 4 hour periods which I've heard is beneficial to preventing algae outbreaks. The bacteria really doesn't care about the light, and the reason I mention leaving the light off during cycling is to help prevent any algae problems during the process. Algae tends to be very fond of the water conditions during a cycle.

Just keep the faith and you'll be right back into the game in no time :)

And thanks for the donation of said filter material. I am back on track.thanks to him. Anything he tells you is a fact. You'll be good and continue to be patient.

Deckape said:
And thanks for the donation of said filter material. I am back on track.thanks to him. Anything he tells you is a fact. You'll be good and continue to be patient.

Thanks bro. I'd donate all the media I've got to you if ya needed it. Hope you guys are having a good holiday weekend.

eco23 said:
Thanks bro. I'd donate all the media I've got to you if ya needed it. Hope you guys are having a good holiday weekend.

I know you would my friend. We are having a great weekend and hope you and Julie are too

eco23 said:
That much lighting is asking for an algae problem IMO. I'd keep it at an 8 hour photo period. If you have a timer, lots of people also break up the lighting into two 4 hour periods which I've heard is beneficial to preventing algae outbreaks. The bacteria really doesn't care about the light, and the reason I mention leaving the light off during cycling is to help prevent any algae problems during the process. Algae tends to be very fond of the water conditions during a cycle.

I figured since I [thought] was getting fish today, that I would be a week away from picking up two otos and they would quickly devour whatever amount of algae my puny 17w T8 fixture would grow in the 18 hour period between putting in the plants and stocking with fish.

I added 2ml ammonia which put me at 2.0ppm. The API chart is funny. When I would put 4ml of ammonia in, the green was so dark it looked well over 4.0, but when I put in 2ml, I swear I'm at 2.0 at best.

I also bumped up the heater to 85F. I want fish. :)

royta said:
I figured since I [thought] was getting fish today, that I would be a week away from picking up two otos and they would quickly devour whatever amount of algae my puny 17w T8 fixture would grow in the 18 hour period between putting in the plants and stocking with fish.

I added 2ml ammonia which put me at 2.0ppm. The API chart is funny. When I would put 4ml of ammonia in, the green was so dark it looked well over 4.0, but when I put in 2ml, I swear I'm at 2.0 at best.

I also bumped up the heater to 85F. I want fish. :)

Are you using lots of air or have you lowered your water level an inch to create agitation? The combination of both of those sped my cycle(s) considerably

Deckape said:
Are you using lots of air or have you lowered your water level an inch to create agitation? The combination of both of those sped my cycle(s) considerably

Once my tank had fully cycled, I did put in a bubbler volcano that the kids wanted.

royta said:
Once my tank had fully cycled, I did put in a bubbler volcano that the kids wanted.

? I thought you were not cycled yet?

Deckape said:
? I thought you were not cycled yet?

I've been cycled for several days. I had a small bacteria die off due to me spending too much time putting in live plants during a 90% PWC last night. The tank glass dried out. My ammonia is dropping to 0 just fine, but now my nitrites aren't. Hopefully it will only take a couple days to build it back up.

royta said:
I've been cycled for several days. I had a small bacteria die off due to me spending too much time putting in live plants during a 90% PWC last night. The tank glass dried out. My ammonia is dropping to 0 just fine, but now my nitrites aren't. Hopefully it will only take a couple days to build it back up.

Then you aren't cycled. Just because your ammo has dropped, you aren't cycled until nitrites drop to 0 too. You should be able to process at least 2 ppm ammonia (IMO) in 24 hours from ammonia to nitrite and finallly into nitrate which you get rid of thru water changes or having many plants to.consume it.

Deckape said:
Then you aren't cycled. Just because your ammo has dropped, you aren't cycled until nitrites drop to 0 too. You should be able to process at least 2 ppm ammonia (IMO) in 24 hours from ammonia to nitrite and finallly into nitrate which you get rid of thru water changes or having many plants to.consume it.

I've been able to process 4ppm of ammonia (ammo AND nitrites) in 24 hours since Wednesday.

Deckape, YOU were the first person to respond to my post on 5/24 where I gave an update to my cycling process. It's easy to forget since so many people have posted their progress in this thread.

royta said:
I've been able to process 4ppm of ammonia (ammo AND nitrites) in 24 hours since Wednesday.

Ok I don't think we are communicating So I will bow out. Good luck with your tank and fish

Deckape said:
Ok I don't think we are communicating So I will bow out. Good luck with your tank and fish

Deckape, YOU were the first person to respond to my post on 5/24 where I gave an update to my cycling process. It's easy to forget since so many people have posted their progress in this thread. Lol

royta said:
Deckape, YOU were the first person to respond to my post on 5/24 where I gave an update to my cycling process. It's easy to forget since so many people have posted their progress in this thread. Lol

Yea I do remember, but you aren't cycled now. I was only trying to help you get back on track. Have a good one

Deckape said:
Yea I do remember, but you aren't cycled now. I was only trying to help you get back on track. Have a good one

I appreciate your help. I realize I'm no longer cycled. I should have said I added the bubbler on Wednesday or so, or when I had first cycled. Again, thanks for your help. I'm hoping it will only take a few days to bounce back. I've learned from my mistake of letting the tank glass dry out during a PWC.

royta said:
I appreciate your help. I realize I'm no longer cycled. I should have said I added the bubbler on Wednesday or so, or when I had first cycled. Again, thanks for your help. I'm hoping it will only take a few days to bounce back. I've learned from my mistake of letting the tank glass dry out during a PWC.

Cool, I have made more mistakes than that. You'll be back in buisness in no time. Keep in touch

FOr all those Waiting for NItrites to show!!! I started my cycle on 25/04/2011 and today am finally showing nitrites!! its well worth the wait never thought a tube of water trning purple could be so fab!

Ruth87 said:
FOr all those Waiting for NItrites to show!!! I started my cycle on 25/04/2011 and today am finally showing nitrites!! its well worth the wait never thought a tube of water trning purple could be so fab!

Awesome! It'll all start moving very quickly from here on. What's funny is that you get so tired of seeing blue...and you're praying for purple. In a short time you'll be absolutely sick of the purple and be begging for it to turn blue again, haha.

Lol yeh I was kinda dancinc and shoutin iv got nitrites he he

It's funny how exciting / stressful / heartbreaking / joyful an empty fish tank can be, lol. Trust me, I know :)

Very true. Well worth it in the end & so heartening when it starts to do what it's supposed to! Keep the faith ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom