The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tested the nitrate again and I have been following the instructions that you have given on this test and I did the same for the others, its the same, but its yellow with like a small orange tint to it, its not pure yellow like the card in the kit but not orange like 5ppm. I also retested the nitrite and its still 0ppm. I called up the fish store they are sold out of the crushed coral but will call tomorrow and talk with the manager as to when the next shipment comes in. The assistant at this pet store mentioned PH UP? BTW this is not petsmart (y)

FishShack said:
I have tested the nitrate again and I have been following the instructions that you have given on this test and I did the same for the others, its the same, but its yellow with like a small orange tint to it, its not pure yellow like the card in the kit but not orange like 5ppm. I also retested the nitrite and its still 0ppm. I called up the fish store they are sold out of the crushed coral but will call tomorrow and talk with the manager as to when the next shipment comes in. The assistant at this pet store mentioned PH UP? BTW this is not petsmart (y)

I strongly recommend against pH up. I'm against using chemicals any time I don't need to. It's WAY better to do things the natural way...even though you don't yet have fish. Plus, you'd need to redose the chems every pwc you did. If you simply can't get your hands on CC...it's better than nothing.

After thinking about it, as long as you're seeing a hint of nitrAtes in the other tank...I think you're cycled :). All the pwc's you've been doing are what are keeping the nitrAte at barely readable, duh.

Looks like things are all on the right track, just work on finding the crushed coral to help you along :)

FishShack said:
Also the 55 gallon tank the PH is 7.6 right now. I just wanted to compare to the 20 gallon.

Oooooooohhhhhh. I thought it was the empty tank with the low pH. Forget altering the pH than. As long as the fish seem okay, don't try to alter anything...they always prefer stable pH to what is considered ideal.

Just keep a close eye on the fishless cycling tank because you obviously have low alkalinity in the water and it still exposes you to the potential of a pH crash.

Do me a favor and leave a glass of water sitting out in a glass for 24 hours and tell me how much it changes from directly out of the tap. I'd like to see how much your water is buffered.

Ok I will fill a glass with water and test and then let it set 24hours and test, will tell you the findings tomorrow at 8pm.

I will leave the 20 gallon alone since the ph is low but stable. If I find CC tomorrow I will add that but nothing else.

I will continue to do nothing with the 55 gallon but test and watch the ammo.

FishShack said:
Ok I will fill a glass with water and test and then let it set 24hours and test, will tell you the findings tomorrow at 8pm.

I will leave the 20 gallon alone since the ph is low but stable. If I find CC tomorrow I will add that but nothing else.

I will continue to do nothing with the 55 gallon but test and watch the ammo.

The empty tank is the one you want to add CC to. As long as the fish are happy...don't touch the pH in the tank they're in. Sorry for the confusion. With low alkalinity water, the chance for a pH crash at the end of a fishless cycle significantly increases, and the CC will help us prevent that.

Adding it into the tank with fish would be dangerous because it will cause a rapid change in pH and potentially shock them.

I finally got time to get the camera out. Here is a pic as promised.
37506-albums1784-picture12066.jpg

Cloudrider said:
I finally got time to get the camera out. Here is a pic as promised.

Beautiful :). It's great to see some little guys swimming around in there, and I'm sure they're enjoying their new home you built for them. Thanks for doing a fishless cycle and congratulations.

eco23 said:
Are you awake? Go to bed! You've got the next breed of american warriors to train in the morning! Geez! Lol.

Not today my friend....going to see if the population of largemouth bass are hungry. Catch and release. Have a good day!

is it possible for nitrites to vanish? when i saw nitrites show other day i tested the following day and ever since there has been no nitrites or nitrates showin and no drop in ammonia :(

Ruth87 said:
is it possible for nitrites to vanish? when i saw nitrites show other day i tested the following day and ever since there has been no nitrites or nitrates showin and no drop in ammonia :(

Can you give me a little more background info? If I remember, your ammo was dropping for a while, the no2 took forever to show up (but finally did) and that's the last I remember.

Has it been consistently dropping the ammonia? Were you dosing it back up to 4ppm every time it dropped? How high did the nitrItes climb? No nitrAtes at all? Are you 100% sure you're testing nitrAtes right? Shaking #2 solution for 30 seconds and the whole tube for 1 minute?

Can you test your pH for me too?

Ammo firstly doesd to 4ppm dropped to almost oppm in 3 weeks but no nitrites showing and no nitrates. doesed back up to 4ppm 3 weeks ago and it has only dropped to 0.5 ppm showed nitritrites just above 0ppm once but no nitrates about monday this week, test twice since and nothin no drop in Amm no nitrites no nitrates. feels like just gone back to square one. doing everything right with the nitrates solution. PH is quite high where i live around 8

Ruth87 said:
Ammo firstly doesd to 4ppm dropped to almost oppm in 3 weeks but no nitrites showing and no nitrates. doesed back up to 4ppm 3 weeks ago and it has only dropped to 0.5 ppm showed nitritrites just above 0ppm once but no nitrates about monday this week, test twice since and nothin no drop in Amm no nitrites no nitrates. feels like just gone back to square one. doing everything right with the nitrates solution. PH is quite high where i live around 8

Keep dosing it up to 4ppm every time it drops. Contrary to other guides, don't let the ammo get too low before dosing it back up. Every 24 hours is ideal as long as it keeps dropping.

I haven't scientifically researched this, but through experience on this guide I believe the ammo to no2 bacteria doesn't like the high pH values, and the no2 to no3 bacteria absolutely hate low pH. Yours isn't extreme so it'll work, just might go slow.

Just to restore anything the bacteria might have used up, I'd knock out a 30-50% pwc and add in a pinch of finely ground up fish food.

It's possible you hit a stall, but if you make these couple changes...it should get you right back on track.

Thanks Eco, will give this a try and let you know how i get on. just done the water change about 40% and added the fish food so will test again in the morning, just wondering even tho i have lots of air and water movement i have quite a sealed lid on the tank cud this being shut be stopping the good bacteria from the air entering the water?

FishShack said:
Eco,

I did the 24 hour water test and from the tap its like 6.6 and waited the next night and it was 7.6.

It went up? That'll take a little bit of google research on my part to explain that one.

No chems or crushed coral involved, right? Just a glass of water sitting out for 24 hours?

I'd be super curious to know your kH and GH, but I'm not gonna ask you to spend any money on a test kit. I still think it's a good idea to add crushed coral to the filter though. It'll keep everything stable and buffered to ensure everything goes smoothly and quickly on the 55 gallon.

I didn't added anything to the glass of water, straight from the tap. The pet store here has the CC, just have to pickup on Tuesday and will add to the 55 gallon. Other than that, the 20 gallon seems to be doing well and the 55 gallon ammo is still at 4ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom