The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish tank is now cycled already! Did the 90% water change last night, Betta looks happy in his new tank! Thanks for your help guys :)

Elenable said:
Fish tank is now cycled already! Did the 90% water change last night, Betta looks happy in his new tank! Thanks for your help guys :)

That's great news! Remember that pictures are a requirement of being an AA member :D

Its amazing what an extra 20gallon does to a goldfish. I have 1goldfish in a 29 gallon tank(moved from the 10gallon) and WOW!He is in heaven. He swims around the tank, plays in the bubbles and even play in the current.

The only concern I have is that when I woke up to go to work around 5am he was just laying at the bottom, when I turned on the light he started moving but do you think hes sick? to much currrent in the tank?

Its amazing what an extra 20gallon does to a goldfish. I have 1goldfish in a 29 gallon tank(moved from the 10gallon) and WOW!He is in heaven. He swims around the tank, plays in the bubbles and even play in the current.

The only concern I have is that when I woke up to go to work around 5am he was just laying at the bottom, when I turned on the light he started moving but do you think hes sick? to much currrent in the tank?

I'm not familiar with goldfish specifically but perhaps he was resting/sleeping? My fish do the same when lights are out overnight (the Corys lay at the bottom and the other fish sort of hover in place) and then wake up when the light comes on. I wouldn't worry about it. If he does the same during the day with the lights on, then perhaps something is wrong, I'd just watch him for now, he's probably fine. :)

Am I done cycling my 40 gallon?

Just came back from work and I noticed bubbles resting at the surface near my filter. I have two filters at both ends of the tank. The bubbles are only at one of the filters. The water level is high enough so there is no splashing.

I immediately tested my parameters and the results are:

PH 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Temperature: 75F

I had a 50% pwc Friday morning and dosed with Prime. Assuming there are no traces of Prime left...am I done cycling?

What are causing the bubbles?
(I have live plants and I dosed Flourish Comprehensive and API CO2 Booster on Friday after my PWC. I also dosed API Leaf Zone on Saturday for Iron and Potassium.)

Manix said:
Am I done cycling my 40 gallon?

Just came back from work and I noticed bubbles resting at the surface near my filter. I have two filters at both ends of the tank. The bubbles are only at one of the filters. The water level is high enough so there is no splashing.

I immediately tested my parameters and the results are:

PH 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Temperature: 75F

I had a 50% pwc Friday morning and dosed with Prime. Assuming there are no traces of Prime left...am I done cycling?

What are causing the bubbles? (I have live plants and I dosed Flourish Comprehensive and API CO2 Booster on Friday after my PWC. I also dosed API Leaf Zone on Saturday for Iron and Potassium.)

When's the last time you added ammonia? If it was recently...it looks cycled to me :)

Can't tell you about the bubbles...no idea on that one.

When's the last time you added ammonia? If it was recently...it looks cycled to me :)

Can't tell you about the bubbles...no idea on that one.

Unfortunately it is a fish-in cycle. I didn't learn about fishless till it was too late.

Awesome that it's cycled!

I read this about the bubbles in Satlwater aquariums. Something about Nitrogen Bubbles. Can it be the same for freshwater? I do have a sand substrate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/nitrate-bubbles-111523.html

Manix said:
Unfortunately it is a fish-in cycle. I didn't learn about fishless till it was too late.

Awesome that it's cycled!

I read this about the bubbles in Satlwater aquariums. Something about Nitrogen Bubbles. Can it be the same for freshwater? I do have a sand substrate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/nitrate-bubbles-111523.html

Glad to hear you're cycled (as long as the ammonia and no2 are staying at zero on their own) :)

The issue of gas pockets and dead spots in sand is complicated, and honestly, something I don't fully understand. I know it involves anaerobic bacteria which can release hydrogen sulfide (which is toxic), and supposedly if it builds up and is released it can be deadly. Again though, I'm not certain how dangerous it really is. Many people use Malaysian Trumpet Snails to keep the sand stirred. Personally I run my fingers through the sand every pwc to keep it stirred up and preventing the pockets from forming. I actually was thinking about starting a thread about it, and I may a bit later today or tomorrow to try and get some concrete answers.

I have five Kuhli Loaches that swim around but not digging underneath. They upset the surface of the substrate though. How deep should I disturb the sand? Half inch?

All done

Hey everyone I am all done with the fishless cycling. I have researched on the fish I want to get and I am going to get them tomorrow. Does anyone have tips and stuff on things like: adding fish to the tank? And things like that. Also I am doing a water change soon.

Manix said:
I have five Kuhli Loaches that swim around but not digging underneath. They upset the surface of the substrate though. How deep should I disturb the sand? Half inch?

Personally I stir basically all the way to the bottom with wither my fingers or the gravel vac when it's not suctioning. Honestly though I'm not sure what's required...it's a tricky and debatable topic. Here's a good read- http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2008/11/hydrogen-sulfides.html

Last edited:
micaiah12 said:
Hey everyone I am all done with the fishless cycling. I have researched on the fish I want to get and I am going to get them tomorrow. Does anyone have tips and stuff on things like: adding fish to the tank? And things like that. Also I am doing a water change soon.

Glad to hear it, congrats :)

I HIGHLY recommend drip-acclimating. It's not always necessary, but after you did all this work for your fish, you might as well be as safe as possible introducing them to the tank.

There's lots of videos online about it. You don't need fancy valves or anything...just an airline hose with a knot in it works.

Remember pictures are required :D

P.H. problems

Hey just before I add fish today. I want to ask. My p.h. is up at 8.2 still after the cycle. I hasn't been 24 hours yet so that may not be the permanent level. So Is that ok or do I need to get drift wood from pet smart?

Hey just before I add fish today. I want to ask. My p.h. is up at 8.2 still after the cycle. I hasn't been 24 hours yet so that may not be the permanent level. So Is that ok or do I need to get drift wood from pet smart?

What's your usual PH? Has it been stable at 8.2 for a while or has it been fluctuating?

I don't know yet in 24 hours I will. But through the cycling it was a stable 8.2

Oh if it's been stable at 8.2 that's probably your normal PH and it's fine for fish. No need to add anything to try to change it. Fish will adapt to your PH as long as it's stable. Just do a slow acclimation and you'll be fine. Do a YouTube search for drip acclimation for how-to videos; you'll just need some airline tubing which is available at most pet/fish stores and very cheap. Good luck with your fish!

Hi there, its me again.

And yes, my tank is till not cycled, 3 MONTHS since I started!

Don't know what is wrong but the NH3 just does not seem to go down to zero after dosing to 3ppm - 4 ppm. After dosing to 4ppm, after 24 hrs it'll go to 1ppm then another 24 hours later, without dosing it'll go to 0.25ppm. pH has settled down to about 6,8 in the tank.

Is it possible that there is ammonia or ammonium present in my water supply or is there some decay going on in the tank ie, plants, leaves that have turned brown and is decomposing? I have Java Ferns attached to driftwood in my tank.

Also, there are small white planaria on the glass, bristle worms in the gravel and sees shrimps hanging about in the driftwood. Because of that I have been a water change and vacuumed the gravel so that decomposing matter is removed. I will be going on vacation to a few places over the next month so will not be around to dose the tank. Will be away for about 4 to 5 days at a time. Is it ok for me to dose to 4ppm and just leave it until I come back? Don't want to leave it to my wife as she does not know what to do. Will the BB totally die off?

Hi there, its me again.

And yes, my tank is till not cycled, 3 MONTHS since I started!

Don't know what is wrong but the NH3 just does not seem to go down to zero after dosing to 3ppm - 4 ppm. After dosing to 4ppm, after 24 hrs it'll go to 1ppm then another 24 hours later, without dosing it'll go to 0.25ppm. pH has settled down to about 6,8 in the tank.

Is it possible that there is ammonia or ammonium present in my water supply or is there some decay going on in the tank ie, plants, leaves that have turned brown and is decomposing? I have Java Ferns attached to driftwood in my tank.

Also, there are small white planaria on the glass, bristle worms in the gravel and sees shrimps hanging about in the driftwood. Because of that I have been a water change and vacuumed the gravel so that decomposing matter is removed. I will be going on vacation to a few places over the next month so will not be around to dose the tank. Will be away for about 4 to 5 days at a time. Is it ok for me to dose to 4ppm and just leave it until I come back? Don't want to leave it to my wife as she does not know what to do. Will the BB totally die off?

So after dosing ammonia to 3-4 it drops to 1 in 24 hours? After three months? Have you seen any nitrite yet? What is your normal PH? 6.8 seems like it's dropping?

Yup, it drops from 3 -4 ppm to 1ppm in 24 hrs. Nitrites were evident, from more than 5ppm to clear baby blue now. Just that the ammonia is not dropping to zero at all, even after 90% water changes and dosing up again. pH is always at 6.8 last I checked, even after 90% WC.

Yup, it drops from 3 -4 ppm to 1ppm in 24 hrs. Nitrites were evident, from more than 5ppm to clear baby blue now. Just that the ammonia is not dropping to zero at all, even after 90% water changes and dosing up again. pH is always at 6.8 last I checked, even after 90% WC.

Hm, if nitrites rise and fell your tank should be cycled. Did you test the PH of your tap water and again after leaving it out for 24 hours? It's possible your normal PH is 6.8 which is fine, just want to make sure it isn't dropping. Did ammonia ever fall to 0 after dosing from 3-4 or has it always just fallen to 1 even when nitrites were showing? You could try dosing to 2 ppm of ammonia for a few days instead of 3-4 and see what happens. If the ammonia clears to 0 and nitrites stay 0 I'd say you could start adding some fish slowly. Dosing to 3-4 is designed to be overkill; fish won't produce 4 ppms of ammonia in a tank unless you grossly overstock it. So if you can get 2 ppm of ammonia to clear to 0 in 24 hours for a few days I'd say you could start adding fish slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom