The Diatoms Persist...Please Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BN aren't a problem for other fish, it's the common pleco's that develop bad habits like slime coat sucking.
As for the silicates, maybe there's too much for the resin to remove before the diatoms get theirs. You could try filtering the water before doing partials.

BN aren't a problem for other fish, it's the common pleco's that develop bad habits like slime coat sucking.
As for the silicates, maybe there's too much for the resin to remove before the diatoms get theirs. You could try filtering the water before doing partials.

Interesting points; thanks. So, I should be looking for a Britlenose Pleco?

I see what you're saying about the silicates; at this point I am going to contact Seachem again and ask them if they think my PhosGuard resin is exhausted and if I should keep using it because the diatoms persist...

Would you recommend me using just the store-bought purified water for top offs from now on?

Thanks Jason.

We're at a complete loss, too -- as well as Seachem; this has been baffling even seasoned experts in this field, admittingly by them, and I don't know what they're coming from or why; I'm not going to do daily water changes, or even every two days, so that's out of the question.

They're getting thicker and worse on my ornaments and plants, and they've begun attacking the gravel.

i just did a little reading...

is the tank itself new? apparently the silicone from new seals will leach silicates into the water column and feed the diatoms.

apparently there is also phosphate in fish food. how much/often do you feed the fish? maybe you could try cutting back on feeding for a bit?

do you try to manually remove the diatoms? that would definitely help. i mean, they will probably come back, but most likely it will be less and less (you would hope....)

i just did a little reading...

is the tank itself new? apparently the silicone from new seals will leach silicates into the water column and feed the diatoms.

apparently there is also phosphate in fish food. how much/often do you feed the fish? maybe you could try cutting back on feeding for a bit?

do you try to manually remove the diatoms? that would definitely help. i mean, they will probably come back, but most likely it will be less and less (you would hope....)

Thank you for your continued assistance, Rachel...

The tank itself is approaching a year old, since we've owned it, as it was brand new when we bought it; it's a 60 gallon Fujimoto brand rectangular. I have heard about the sealants causing the diatoms, as you read about, but didn't think that was ever the problem; not sure if almost a year later, this would be a factor...

The feeding is an interesting issue and may be a factor here -- I was feeding twice a day, Aqueon flake food, then cut down to once a day, and then I was advised on here (and on other sites) to cut back to at least every other day, which I did for awhile, and switched to Tetra Goldfish Flakes...that didn't seem to stop the diatom outbreak, but I can try the reduced feeding again...

And yes, I have tried removing the diatoms -- we did this twice actually, and it was absolutely backbreaking what with removing the ornaments and plants, transferring them to the sink to be washed down and scrubbed with hot water, then returned to the tank...I simply cannot do this again. With each wash down, the diatoms would return about a week later...:blink: :confused:

Totally understandable, that's a lot of work!!

Maybe you could try food other than flakes? I'm not sure about the phosphate content in other types of food, but maybe you could vary their diet a bit more (which is healthy for the fish anyway). Try using pellets, frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, and you can also blanch peas and feed them once a week (to keep fishies regular ;) ) That way you would only have to do flakes a couple times a week, and switch it up with other foods on the other days. Feeding your fish every other day is just fine, that's how often I feed mine. Also, make sure you're only putting enough in the tank that the fish will consume in less than 5 minutes. If you are noticing food settling on the bottom and not getting eaten, try vacuuming it out after feeding time, so it does not have a chance to feed the diatoms more.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this, hopefully it is just a temporary thing.

I'm not sure of your tank's stock, but have you considered getting something that would help keep the diatoms in check? Otos love diatoms and are a great addition to almost any tank (I love mine, they are very interesting and fun to watch.) I know that it's not a good idea to add a fish simply to control algae, and that you want to know the source of it, but with the level of frustration you must be feeling, I would think that you'd just not want to look at the diatoms anymore :) lol

Totally understandable, that's a lot of work!!

Indeed...

Maybe you could try food other than flakes? I'm not sure about the phosphate content in other types of food, but maybe you could vary their diet a bit more (which is healthy for the fish anyway). Try using pellets, frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp, and you can also blanch peas and feed them once a week (to keep fishies regular ;) ) That way you would only have to do flakes a couple times a week, and switch it up with other foods on the other days. Feeding your fish every other day is just fine, that's how often I feed mine. Also, make sure you're only putting enough in the tank that the fish will consume in less than 5 minutes. If you are noticing food settling on the bottom and not getting eaten, try vacuuming it out after feeding time, so it does not have a chance to feed the diatoms more.

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this, hopefully it is just a temporary thing.

I don't know if it's temporary at this point because it's been going on for so long -- and we were advised it should have just been when the tank was "maturing" and then they're supposed to die off on their own -- but I too hope so...

As for the feeding, I can indeed try to mix it up, but are you certain every other day is okay for them?

I'm not sure of your tank's stock

My signature indicates that I have four fancy goldfish...;)

but have you considered getting something that would help keep the diatoms in check? Otos love diatoms and are a great addition to almost any tank (I love mine, they are very interesting and fun to watch.) I know that it's not a good idea to add a fish simply to control algae, and that you want to know the source of it, but with the level of frustration you must be feeling, I would think that you'd just not want to look at the diatoms anymore :) lol

Indeed, I have been advised about the Pleco cats to control this issue -- but I was never assured by anyone whether catfish could mix with goldfish and I have been worried about putting them in...:hide:

I feel your pain! I have the same problem in my 55g, which has been up and running for over 3 years now!! It's so frustrating, this weekend I have to remove everything and scrub it...AGAIN! I haven't tried this Seachem product you were talking about. Is it worth it? I don't know what to do either...definitely keep posting updates as I'm learning through you :)

I feel your pain! I have the same problem in my 55g, which has been up and running for over 3 years now!! It's so frustrating, this weekend I have to remove everything and scrub it...AGAIN! I haven't tried this Seachem product you were talking about. Is it worth it? I don't know what to do either...definitely keep posting updates as I'm learning through you :)

Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting, as it's "nice" to hear from another diatom sufferer! :nono: :oops:

You have been battling diatoms for three years now? More than that? Holy cow...I thought these things were supposed to just go away on their own after awhile -- I didn't know they could last for something like more than three years...:banghead::banghead::(

Seachem's "PhosGuard" is supposed to remove silicates and phosphates from the water -- two elements which supposedly "feed" diatoms and keep them active. I have been running about 200ml of the stuff in a media bag in my AquaClear filter for months now, but the diatoms haven't really disappeared. I think -- and I could be wrong -- that the diatoms reduced a small bit when I was using non-tap, purified water in jugs that were bought in the store, but I cannot confirm...this leads me to believe the problem still lies in my tap water supply, which really ticks me off because we can't really afford to keep buying purified water containers every time this tank needs a top off...

Here's a link to the Seachem stuff:

Seachem. PhosGuard

Sorry should have been more clear...lol...the diatoms appeared about 3 months ago. I never had them before and have no idea what brought on the outbreak! My rocks and driftwood are covered in it. You can see them waving in the water. I have a clown pleco (who hasn't helped much). I also got a couple snails to, however they aren't doing much for it either. Thanks for the link :). Buying purified water is definitely out for me. How do you test for silicates and phosphates in the water? Maybe I should call my water company ask them? It's just weird because I've always used the same water and this has never been an issue...grrrrr. It's so frustrating when you spend 3 hours scrubbing and cleaning, just to see more brown spots a few days later!!

Sorry should have been more clear...lol...the diatoms appeared about 3 months ago. I never had them before and have no idea what brought on the outbreak! My rocks and driftwood are covered in it. You can see them waving in the water. I have a clown pleco (who hasn't helped much). I also got a couple snails to, however they aren't doing much for it either. Thanks for the link :).

Oh, okay, so you've been dealing with them for three months or so?

Ya...I just edited my previous post after you read it...lol. But ya it's been about 3 months

Sorry should have been more clear...lol...the diatoms appeared about 3 months ago.

Actually, I think it was me who should have read your statement more carefully; your initial post that I was responding to didn't really hint at diatoms being in your tank for "three years." I believe I misinterpreted that.

I never had them before and have no idea what brought on the outbreak!

I'm told they're from a lot of things -- a new tank coming to complete cycle, water supply with silicates, the sealants inside tanks, certain foods and so on...

My rocks and driftwood are covered in it. You can see them waving in the water.

Tell me about it; I have a "pirate shipwreck" ornament in the center of the tank that is absolutely devoured in brown diatoms -- I have cleaned this ship down numerous times, and cannot get the leftover brown stains they have left off the sails. However, I don't see any "waving" in my water, as you're experiencing...

I have a clown pleco (who hasn't helped much). I also got a couple snails to, however they aren't doing much for it either. Thanks for the link :).

No problem for the link -- I hope the info helps. Seemingly, the PhosGuard has not helped me, maybe just a tad. But it's disheartening to know that your cat and snails aren't eating the diatoms, as I have been promised they do...

Buying purified water is definitely out for me.

Why? Budget?

How do you test for silicates and phosphates in the water? Maybe I should call my water company ask them?

I know the popular test kits like the Freshwater one from API (which I have) don't have tests for these parameters -- but apparently there are tests out there. I have also been advised to ask my water company about the water, but I haven't gotten around to it. I have also been advised to test the tap water myself.

It's just weird because I've always used the same water and this has never been an issue...grrrrr. It's so frustrating when you spend 3 hours scrubbing and cleaning, just to see more brown spots a few days later!!

Tell me about it... :rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead:

Osage_Winter said:
I've been told Otos, Plecos and snails eat these things, but Fred just reported that his snails and cats didn't do a single solitary thing to help him with his diatoms...:nono::banghead:

Yeah, I got otos for algae and they're about a useful as apple snails for cleaning my BA or algae off lol.

Aw what a shame :( I had this problem too, but as I wanted some otos anyway, it was a good excuse to get some. I got one to start with and it didn't look like he touched it at all. I got two more so they were a group of three and they cleaned the tank within a week. I did notice my guppies nibbling at it too but not much. I thought that it had gone away because I haven't seen any for three or four months. Apparantly that was just the otos doing a good job :) I put a floating breeder trap in to house my guppy fry. Within a week I couldn't see them because the diatoms were so thick inside the breeder. I'm glad I got the otos because otherwise I would be having the same problem as you :(

Obviously that doesn't help you as you've got a cold water tank, but it might be worth trying the pleco. I think my otos only ate the diatoms after they'd eaten all the slimy stuff I had in the tank. I think they ate the brown algae because there was nothing better. Maybe the people whose plecs aren't eating diatoms are eating something tastier instead, like algae wafers?

Back
Top Bottom