the harder i try the worse it gets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chellmybell said:
also i live in a area with really hard water, is it ok if i keep using distilled water or should i just go for the tap with a chemical to take out the chlorine? and if i use tap water do i have to let the water sit for a set amount of time?

There is a chemical that I find most people use (including me) called PRIME it is a dechlorinator...otherwise I believe water needs to sit for 24-48 hours for chlorine to dissipate...but personally Id trust the prime more than my timing

Exactly :) just make sure it's the same temp, but you can usually get close enough by testing with your hand :)

also with my lil guy pete, he is one of my jd's and his fins started to split, as well as he is looking very pail, im worried about him and my other 2 fish who share the same tank

chellmybell said:
is hard water bad for fish?

Hard water isn't really "good" or "bad". It just depends on what type of fish you're keeping. African species prefer a 7.8-8.2 in most cases. While south american fish like it down around 7. There's a few that like it even lower than that.

If the water is to hard for the fish you want to keep there are things you can do to bring it down in your tank safely.

I believe these fish like a slightly harder water but will concede my answer to someone with more experience...as for the fin problems...do have plans to get a bigger tank soon??

I concede to panda...but my question still stands!

GrimmGoby said:
Letting the water sit will help with the chlorine but not the chlorimine(spelling?)

Ooo good for ALL of us to know :) thanks!

They put chloramine into the water to fight against infurosia(spelling?), and it won't dicipate over time like chlorine.

GrimmGoby said:
They put chloramine into the water to fight against infurosia(spelling?), and it won't dicipate over time like chlorine.

Its also a good idea to test your ammonia levels right after adding the Prime. Chloramines break down into ammonia and chlorine. It saves a lot of needless panic when you pop up with low levels if you know its just from your water change.

yea i have plans on getting a bigger tank and am trying to find one that is goingto work well for me and my lil guys, also i think i need to move the tank to a different area, my room is just too sunny, i dont have the tank in direct sun but it does get alot of sun and i have been told that is bad for water temp as well as for algae.

ps thanks everyone for answering my questions, i should of read up on keeping these guys before i got them but like lots of us just starting to have a tank, i didnt and now i am having issues :( but i can swallow my pride for my lil guys :)

chellmybell said:
ps thanks everyone for answering my questions, i should of read up on keeping these guys before i got them but like lots of us just starting to have a tank, i didnt and now i am having issues :( but i can swallow my pride for my lil guys :)

We are always here for you and them :) never be afraid to ask a question...no matter how dumb you think it is

so i am getting a 30 gal tank Sunday, i know it is still small for my fish, but it will be a great improvement until i can afford the one i really want :) im so excited

chellmybell said:
so i am getting a 30 gal tank Sunday, i know it is still small for my fish, but it will be a great improvement until i can afford the one i really want :) im so excited

Awesome! Welcome to AA! Check out the link in my signature for info on how to cycle the tank fishless.

Back
Top Bottom