the perfect aquarium store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, here's my take on an aquarium store, which was thinking of doing if I could get my commodities trading off the ground and moving forward. I would use the profits from that business to fund an aquarium store, rather than the bank. I would first purchase the property, then build the building that I would want. As for the building, it would be almost twice the size of Walmart, and have several sections. The aquarium room would be only lit up by the aquariums, and would take up 1/3 of the building. It would have a freshwater community section, freshwater aggressive section, a cichlid section, a fully planted section, and a brackish/saltwater section. I would then take the second 1/3 and use it for aquarium supplies, filters, tanks, food, etc. Everything you would need, and as many brands as possible. Then for the last 1/3, half of it would be office space, and the other half would be media theaters, with several seats in each. In one theater, I'd use as a promotional theater for products, and would get the media promotions from the manufacturers and play at certain times for each manufacturer. Another theater would be for training, such as proper care and maintenance, cycling, care for the fish, illnesses and their treatments, etc. And finally, the last theater would be for fun. Would have films of different species of fish, where they are found, documentaries, etc. Kind of like a Jacques-Yves Cousteau and National Geographic kind of theater. So there you have it. Would be a big undertaking, but there's a good market here for something like this here, as if you really want to get good stuff, you have to drive over 3 hours to get it. So there you have it folks. If I get where I want in the trading business, this will be my investment undertaking.

So my recommendation to you is think it out. See what you are really wanting to undertake, whether it be just selling aquariums and supplies, just fish, or the whole enchilada. Then, do your homework, get all your plan set in place, and go for it.

Lonewolfblue said:
Well, here's my take on an aquarium store, which was thinking of doing if I could get my commodities trading off the ground and moving forward. I would use the profits from that business to fund an aquarium store, rather than the bank. I would first purchase the property, then build the building that I would want. As for the building, it would be almost twice the size of Walmart, and have several sections. The aquarium room would be only lit up by the aquariums, and would take up 1/3 of the building. It would have a freshwater community section, freshwater aggressive section, a cichlid section, a fully planted section, and a brackish/saltwater section. I would then take the second 1/3 and use it for aquarium supplies, filters, tanks, food, etc. Everything you would need, and as many brands as possible. Then for the last 1/3, half of it would be office space, and the other half would be media theaters, with several seats in each. In one theater, I'd use as a promotional theater for products, and would get the media promotions from the manufacturers and play at certain times for each manufacturer. Another theater would be for training, such as proper care and maintenance, cycling, care for the fish, illnesses and their treatments, etc. And finally, the last theater would be for fun. Would have films of different species of fish, where they are found, documentaries, etc. Kind of like a Jacques-Yves Cousteau and National Geographic kind of theater. So there you have it. Would be a big undertaking, but there's a good market here for something like this here, as if you really want to get good stuff, you have to drive over 3 hours to get it. So there you have it folks. If I get where I want in the trading business, this will be my investment undertaking.

So my recommendation to you is think it out. See what you are really wanting to undertake, whether it be just selling aquariums and supplies, just fish, or the whole enchilada. Then, do your homework, get all your plan set in place, and go for it.

Any chance of you opening one of those up in the SE Michigan area? I don't know about most of the area since I don't like to travel too far for my supplies, but I havn't really found a good overall LFS in the Flint area. Though Moby Dick's has been around in Waterford, MI for as long as I remember and they've been reliable in my experience with their fish. Though their supplies tend to all be on the expensive side of the spectrum.

I guess what I'm getting at there is a good mix of affordability and reliability. All the guarantees and healthy fish in the world won't help much if the average Joe can't afford to shop there.

If I ever get to that point, like I was saying, it would be for investment purposes only, and not to make money. So the pricing I'd be looking at would be a bit lower than most, and as for live fish, would have a 30 day policy. As long as all bills are paid, and employees are all paid plus bonuses, insurance, retirement, etc, the rest will be taken off the cost. Basically, kind of like a non-profit. My commodities business would be my income source. :)

But that's just me now. So let's get back to the topic. Like I was saying earlier, see what you are really wanting to undertake. It's a good business in my opinion to get into, as long as you sell quality merchandise and/or livestock, and properly maintain all aspects of the business. And you'll probably be able to have a good pricepoint and put all the poorly maintained lfs's out of business, if you are wanting to thrive and grow. Most importantly, Plan, Plan, Plan. You need a good Solid Plan. And dig deep down in your heart and see what you really want in the business, and go for it. If you can't be certain with yourself on it, then find something else. You will either make it or break it. But it's all in your Plan.

start a business plan, that way you know what is involved. Also any bank you go to for funding is going to want to see one. I just finished my b.p. for my business and its been a pain to do, but an important step to take

Find out what kind of fish are most popular in the area. Aquarium clubs are a good place to figure this out. I know a store with lots of cichlids would do great in my area because that's the popular fish in the area aquarium society. Some places do great with fancy goldfish- but I'd suggest to start with smaller fish and raise them to a larger size so they are more healthy. A healthy, quality ryukin or peralscale can fetch up to $80 at my lfs. They do take a lot of room and work though, goldfish aren't an easy fish.

At the end of the day, you are only 32...... so why not take the chance? You have plenty of time ahead of you just IN CASE it doesnt work out..... your still young.... kind of ;)

the reason i want to do this is fore the people in my area....would also like to make a small profit but i make good money as an electrician so this is not my main concern. i love this hobby and would like to take it to another level. most likely any profit i made would be in fish and supplys......lol
as for the business plan am working on it.....imo not getting in any rush on this i would hate to see it fail.....as hashbaz said it may work out me starting at home and online as prime property value may be to high to afford and am leary of setting up shop to far from a main road.
the nearest aquarium club to me is about an hour and a half away....am now cosidering maybe trying to form a group in my area and see if interest is really in my area.....might save a few bucks and who knows maybe i can find someone willing to stick his neck out with me....lol.
again thanks for all this advice....the people in this group are the best i've met anywhere on the web

I agree with those that say start at home/online first.

I did the math, and while Im sure I forgot somethings... for the most part I came up with needing atleast 5000 a month in operating costs. This includes rent, power, water, phone and internet for ordering, advertising, your pay rate (you do need to survive right?), insurance, security, etc.

Thats excluding start up costs such as tank displays, stock, signage, blah blah blah.

Not to discourage you or anything, but a home business is considerabbly cheaper. You can get domain names for like 10$ a month, and web space for about half that. Shipping supplies are cheap. You can post ads in news papers or trading posts (our local classifieds).

If funding is what your looking for , try researching grants for small businesses. I'm currently doing that so I can start my own art store and maybe sell fish on the side :) It's great if you can get it because then you don't have to pay it back. I am still trying so if I have any success in the matter I will let you know so you can get one too!! Good luck with the fish store and have fun planning for a wonderful freshwater emporium!!

OceanMaiden said:
If funding is what your looking for , try researching grants for small businesses. I'm currently doing that so I can start my own art store and maybe sell fish on the side :) It's great if you can get it because then you don't have to pay it back. I am still trying so if I have any success in the matter I will let you know so you can get one too!! Good luck with the fish store and have fun planning for a wonderful freshwater emporium!!

That is another excellent idea to look into. Grants are a very good resource, and shouldn't be knocked. :)

have looked a little at grants but so far i havent come up with anything....would love to find one so if anyone knows of one or a good place to look let me know
another idea i had is maybe for 30 min to an hour in the early evening a couple times a week is to have fish education pick a specific species or 2 and discuss its habitat, behavior and all around general care.....not sure if it would take off or not so let me know what you all think

Back
Top Bottom