the perfect diy pvc overflow/melting pvc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foma2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have two tanks that sit right next to eachother so for an overflow i just have pvc conecting the two as an "over flow" well, i didn't want to use pvc cement and air kept getting in through the conectors so i made my own bent pipe. i took a length of pvc and put a cap at one end. i then filled the pipe with boiling water and put the cap on the other end, waited 30 seconds for the pipe to get soft then bent the pipe to fit. you can bend it in any direction. its really cool. it takes a bit of gentle force but it works well.
oh use hevy gloves. the pipe gets hot.

I have heard of folks bending PVC before. I've also heard of folks using sand that had been heated in the over. Their claims were that the sand provided more internal support and kept the PVC from kinking during bending. Have any pics of your final product? Would be really interested in seeing the results! How sharp were the bends you made?

Neato! What size pipe you used? Do you know if one kind bends better then another (ie grey vs white vs black)?

well i dont have any pics(no digital camara) but i like the sand idea, cause i did have a bit of trobble with kinks. it would be easier if you had a form to bend it on. but the sand seems like it would be more of a hassle, heating sand in the oven and what not. i dont know if color makes a diffrence but ive done it with 1/2" and 3/4" pipe. it should work with all sizes

ive heard you can fill it with sand and just use a torch or maybe even a heatgun to bend it

Dont they make flex PVC? I thought I saw this stuff in the home improvment stores. Its for bending around small obstructions at the job site for like sinks and stuff.

the issue with most "flex" tubing is the ribs built into it's design to allow it to flex. The ribs cause major resistance to the flow and defeats the purpose of bending (at least for our intentions).

ok maybe flex was the wrong word. Bendable is more approprate. This is not the flex hose that you can twist and turn in all kinds of directions. This pvc looks just like regular pvc except you can bend it. It has a dark grey color vs the white of regular PVC.

Clown Monarch said:
I love PVC. If I'm ever stranded on a deserted island, I want PVC and duct tape.
I'd rather have food and shelter but to each their own :wink:

FF: ahh, then I'll have to look for it next time I'm at HD (or the new Lowes they just build in my area) I may have to take another stroll through HD, just to see whats new... haven't done that in a while. However, today probably isn't the best day to just say "hey hon, i'll be home from work late tonight, just gonna wander around HD for a little while" hehe. I might get in a little trouble.

Sounds like a good idea. The sand idea is good too, but don't heat it. Just fill a tube your bending with it and it will prevent the kinking effect. And the bigger the pipe the harder the bend. I tried (and failed) to make a u-tube from 1" pvc. Ended up buying them and boy do they charge at the LFS for u-tubes. They are whacked out of their minds. I bartered some for some coral frags because I was not shelling out $16 bucks for a plastic tube just because I wasn't getting the results I wanted bending it myself. Still saved about $50 overall making an overflow box, so DIY triumphs again. Plus more fun.

I've seen that at the local HD - in the electrical couduit section (except it's grey). Problem is that the flex PVC won't keep its bend ... unless you have some way of holding it, it springs back to almost straight.

You can use a torch to heat any size pvc either grey or white but I don't know how well it will last under pressure. So long as it is just an overflow I don't think you will have a problem. Be sure to keep the torch moving or you will have a scorch mark and heat a length longer than the bend you want to make or it will kink. I learned this trick from an electrician that was bending 2 inch pvc. Good Luck!

wow. longest post that ive done so far. ive only done it with water. the first time i actualy got a bigger pipe and filled it with water then sunk the pipe i wanted bent into it. then took it out and bent it. it worked all right but filling the actual pipe with hot water works the best. i personaly wouldn't use the torch method. you would have a hardtime heating it equaly.

Thats not what I have seen. What I have seen is rather stiff. Kind of plyable vs being flexale.

the product that billyz posted has ribbs in it too. i think someone posted about the ribs effecting flow, and you can get clear tubing at the hardware store thats the same size, and i think its cheeper too.

Back
Top Bottom