The Science Behind Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am using a Fluval 105 for my 10G fresh water tank. At the moment I have carbon in the bottom tray, and fluval biomax and polishing pads in the top tray. I really don't think I need the carbon, so once it has worn off in a week or so I am going to replace it with something more useful.

I understand how each filter media works, but can someone please explain the science behind which order they go in. Many people recommend adding the bio media in the bottom tray and adding the polishing pads on the top. Why can't I add the polishing pads on the bottom which will help prevent the bio media getting dirty with small particles which pass through the larger foam.

Thanks

You are dead on. I always use a fine mechanical/polishing media water immediately after the course mechanical media. There is no reason to do it later. The biomedia should be dealing with the cleanest water possible to be the most effective and preventing getting clogged or smothered. The biomedia should be the last stage. If you use carbon, peat, crushed coral, etc that should go after the mechanical but before the biological. The mechanical should always be the first stage (course before fine obviously).

Thanks for your support.

This weekend I am going to re-configure my filter as shown below. I hope this will be okay.

-----Top------------
Fluval BioMax
SeaChem Matrix
Rena Bacti Stars x 4
-----Bottom---------
Fluval Polishing Pad x 1
Fluval Pre-Filter Ceramic Rings
-----Side------------
4 Foam Pads
---------------------
^^^^ Water ^^^^

Keep it simple, ditch Fluval's prefilter rings, Rena's bio stars, and Fluval's Biomax. The Seachem matrix is the best biomedia so just use that, no need to use that and other biomedias.

Keep it simple, ditch Fluval's prefilter rings, Rena's bio stars, and Fluval's Biomax. The Seachem matrix is the best biomedia so just use that, no need to use that and other biomedias.

The Fluval BioMax I have in the filter is new so I'm not going to replace it until it starts to rot. As for the Bio Stars, these are an excellent rating by many people so I don't see what harm adding three or four with the SeaChem Matrix will do.

Thanks for the advice though.

They take space from the Matrix, but that's about it.

If you are waiting until the Biomax rots you will never replace it. I still have some from my 03s I got about twelve years ago.

No matter what media you ask about people like it, if not it wouldn't still be on the market. I have seen and used almost all of them and based on what I have seen and read I would go with Matrix.

I'm suprised they have lasted so long, I was only expecting mine to last about 12 months. If you are still using 12 year old BioMax, you either like them very much or you are very skint :D

When I remove the carbon from my filter on the next change I'll have enough room for the Matrix and the BioMax. Overtime I'll replace the BioMax with API BactiStars. I already have brand new Matrix and BactiStars so no point letting them go to waste.

Unless you can return them. Some stores have very good return policies.

Some ceramic biomedia has more surface than others, but it's like asking if you want $1 billion or $2 billion. It's an awful lot either way. I say use what you've got.

True, but according to Seachem the matrix actually has less, but it is more bioavailable. The difference is that with biomedias like Fluval's and Eheim's the pores and channels are so narrow that if any biofilm develops it blocks off those pores and channels. The pores and channels in the matrix is large enough to allow biofilm to grow without clogging up. It also allows for denitrification.

Granted this information is from Seachem so we can't take it as undeniable scientific fact, but many aquarists' experience support that even if it doesn't actually allow for denitrification, which some aquarists' experiences say it does, it is at least as good as the other biomedias. With the possible benefit of denitrification it is worth it in my opinion to use as the only biomedia.

Its all done. I managed to add all the SeaChem Matrix into the basket along with all the existing Fluval BioMax. In the bottom basket I added a new polishing pad with 16 BactiStars on top. That should create one heck of a colony??

So when should we use carbon? Should I use it while cycling tanks at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice App

I don't think you need it unless you have a problem with water colour, water smell, or are using fish medication. I think they provide carbon free with the filter hoping you'll continue to buy a new one every month.

I suggest filling all your trays with bio ceramics. The pre-filter pad in the fluval should be more than large enough to handle any waste you get.

I use no carbon and no polishing pads. All ceramics and my water is crystal clear...
The order I learned it was: coarse filtration > bio media > fine filtration > carbon.

Getting large solid particles trapped in your carbon makes it last significantly less time...

I am using a Fluval 105 for my 10G fresh water tank. At the moment I have carbon in the bottom tray, and fluval biomax and polishing pads in the top tray. I really don't think I need the carbon, so once it has worn off in a week or so I am going to replace it with something more useful.

I understand how each filter media works, but can someone please explain the science behind which order they go in. Many people recommend adding the bio media in the bottom tray and adding the polishing pads on the top. Why can't I add the polishing pads on the bottom which will help prevent the bio media getting dirty with small particles which pass through the larger foam.

Thanks

Here's a good reason:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/phew-moments-142217.html

:)

It would have clogged in the top tray too, except you would have also clogged all your biomedia rendering it useless in the process.

My order is: Coarse filtration > Fine filtration > Bio media (BactiStars > BioMax > Matrix). My bio media will stay nice and clean forever :D

Back
Top Bottom