The tank log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishygurl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok im going to set up this tank log so that i can post all the questions about my first tank here. (from setting up to cycling to....) I figue that that way i dont have to post like 5 five topic each time I encounter a new problem or question. All I ask of you people is that you keep checking back so that people dont just ignore this thread!
Here we go!!

Stocking
Its a 30 gallon high tank with aquaclear 150 and plastic plants. (only until i can afford the lighting for live ones :D ) There are tons of plastic though.. I think around 25
Here is my stocking plan but has not stopped changing since i started thinking about getting into fish 2 monts ago. If anyone has any totally different ideas then i am open to those.
6 harliquen rasboras
3 cherry barbs
6 zebra danio
3-5 pepper cories
1 dwarf gourami

I will post more as i actually get the stand so i can fill the tank up.
Then im sure i wil have more then enough probs to post with fishless cycling. But for now only one question.

If you overdo the fishless cycing and add not enough fish ( i dont want to add them all at once) and some of the bacteria die off. Will they build back up aagain with the addition of more fish? (slowly of course)

You can't overdo the fishless cycle, if you do by some chance the cycle isn't complete. By doing a fishless cycle you are making the tank safe for fish. Adding of fish before the parameters are ammonia and nitrite 0ppm, and nitrates of at least 10 ppm, is not a fishless cycle. The bacteria won't die off unless you wait too long to add fish once the cycle is complete. Adding fish when the cycle dies will bring the cycle back but from the beginning and be dangerous to the fish. HTH.

thats not what i meant. i meant that if you cylce the tank with enough ammonia equivilant to the amount produced by 10 fish then add 5 fish and some of the bacteria die off, wil they build back up again when i add more fish later?

Yes add fish slowly after the cycle is done and should have little or no problems.

Welcome to AA!!!

It's a good idea, would be better if you put a link to the log in your signature, IMO. That way no one would have to search for it and could just clicky.

This is an excellent idea and you're on your way to being an excellent aquarist fishygurl. Here's the concept that you need to understand about the nitrogen cycle...
it reaches a point of equilibrium. The bacteria colony exists as long as there is a source of ammonia to feed it. The fish and the bacterial colony will reach a kind of harmony with each other.

Am i crazy i have a tottaly different idea so could someone tell be whickh one would be better

6 serpae tetras
6 tiger barbs
6 zebra danios
3 pepper cories

Iy your saying those are the fish you are planning to stock your 30 galon tank with. I do not see a problem. It will be a lively tank.

I know there wont be a problem with that (sorry if i sound cheeky i dont mean to)
My question is that i need some help deciding which plan to go with:

6 zebra danio
3 cherry barbs
5 pepper corys
1 dwarf gourami

or

6 serpae tetras
6 tiger barbs
6 zebra danios
3 pepper cories

Actually im not sure about the tanks capticity, its more than 20 gallons, because its got the same dimensions as a 20 except its 8 inches deeper.(24 by 12 by 20) But i dont think its a 30 high either.

I personally like choice A better because I am not sure how serpaes and tiger barbs will get on. Tiger barbs are nippy and serpaes can be too. Not to mention that I love gourami's and the more cory's the better! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom